Tuesdays and Thursdays

by Dustin 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Dustin
    Dustin

For the longest time I used to hate Tuesdays and Thursdays. Those were the nights of the bookstudy and the Theocratic ministry/service meeting. Every time when I was at school or work on these days, it seemed I was never in a good mood. I used to hate having to try and prepare, get dressed, and get to the meeting on time after a long day. It always seemed there was something else I wanted to do on these nights. Finally the feeling of dreading these nights has faded. It took a while even after I stopped going, to realize they were no longer meeting nights. Now Tuesday has become my favorie night of the week, Kareoke night. Anybody else feel that sense of dread?

I didn't include Sunday because at least football was on.

Dustin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Indeed. I loathed those days too and felt depressed going to school on Tuesday and Thursday -- especially Thursday. That day was worse because the meeting was two hours long, more formal and less comfortable (I got to sit on the sofa at the book study), and the material usually way less interesting. What made it patalable a little was going out with friends afterward for ice cream or dinner. There had to be something to look forward to during the meeting itself....

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Hey!

Those were the same days for me too. I hated them. Most of the times we couldnt have dinner till after the meeting! (Ex was always busy working on parts and shit like that) Most of the meetings were followed by elders meetings, so me and the kids had to wait till after those!

• The JellyBaby
    The JellyBaby

As a huge Football fan..(soccer),Tuesdays and Thursdays were training nights. So because of this,I could never play for any teams. The problem was I was considered to be 'quite a talent'...so I was preventing from doing the very thing I was only ever good at.You try telling your school master that you wont be able to train/play as you have to attend a bible meeting....(still remember that look of bemusement!!) When I eventually saw things for what they were, I 'made up for lost time'. I managed to play for some good teams, and even managed to earn a few quid. I couldnt contemplate dragging my children out on these evenings now, to make them sit motionless and silent for all that time.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Jellybaby I feel your pain! Like you, I was pretty damn good. I used to run a 4:20 mile. Tell the track coach you can't go out because of bible meetings. I could also keep it up for very long distances. I would have been killer in cross-country.

Dustin

• Dustin
    Dustin

Stefanie, I used to hate the elders meetings too. My dad was an elder when I was a kid. Those stupid things could go on for hours. I used to hate doing parts as well. I was a procrastinater, always waitng till the last second and then wrtitng them before the meeting. All I have to say is I'm glad it's over.

Dustin

• glitter
    glitter

Tuesdays and Thursdays still feel "different" for me, like not a night to crash in front of the TV after dinner - because if the old days we'd have one eye on "Blossom" while putting on shoes and packing book bags and had to be out of the door before the end.

If for some reason we didn't attend, we weren't allowed to have the TV on until we would have been back, and we weren't allowed to set the video for TV on when we were out!

Not having the TV on on Tuesday and Thursday nights lasted for ages after Mum stopped going to meetings (she's still well and truly in though :( )

/currently watching "Eastenders" with Mum, hehe.

• Dustin
    Dustin

What's up Glitter? My parents were the same way. No t.v. on meeting nights. And why did it always seem like that's when all the good shows were on?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Dustin, that exactly how the kids felt. At the time they were 2, and 6! They were hungry and tired and sometimes we wouldnt get out of there till 1030!

The funny part was when ex would come out of the meeting he would say, "sorry it took so long, stupid elder so and so kept asking stupid questions." lol

• Dustin
    Dustin

I think the elders were just sittin around drinkin a Bud at those meetings. The stupid elder who kept asking the questions was the lightweight. ha ha.

Dustin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit