I received the answer to my question

by JustTickledPink 10 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Yesterday I had a conversation which I mentioned on another thread but will detail more here.

I left the JWs when I was about 19 and drifted and was DF'd 5 years ago. I'm now 30. My issue always has been and still to this day was the fact that my mother basically disowned me. That has been an extremely difficult concept/doctrine for me to accept. However difficult it has been though, it is reality.

Recently she refused to attend my wedding and opened up a new kind of hurt inside me. It has brewed and festered. My mother continued to correspond with me via email and send me WT quotes, scriptures, etc. I returned fire with fire and began my anti-JW campaign, I sent numerous emails to her varying from exposing the falsehoods, scriptures, etc.

So yesterday I had a conversation with someone and connected very powerfully to what she said. She told me that I was carrying around a lot of negative energy around, a lot of negative baggage, and that I needed to STOP because it was making me unhappy and stressed. She told me that she believed that this religion controlled me more today than ever before in my life. (Funny my husband just had told me that my obsession was too much just the other day) So I said then what's the solution?

She told me the answer. I had never thought of it before. She said my trying to change my mother's beliefs was exactly what my mother was trying to do to me. That my preaching to her about how "wrong" her "true" religion was turns out to be equal. That I needed to write my mother a letter and simply state that from now on I would respect her religion, I would respect her beliefs and would respect her choices for her life. That I also would request respect for my life, choices, and beliefs. That as humans we do not have the power to change anyone and that should be left to God. To ask my mother to pray to Jehovah God and if anyone was capable of reaching my heart and making me change and become a JW that it would left up to Him. That I also was to pray to God and if anyone had the power to open her up to change her mind and beliefs, let it be God who does it.

The thing is, even if I don't prescribe to "let go and let God" it actually can work because she does believe that Jehovah is all powerful. So my answer is that I have to connect with her and tell her to pray and allow Jehovah to reach me if that is going to happen. To discontinue her emails and respect my choices. I am also going to stop. It's not my purpose in life to change her, to defend myself any longer.

It's difficult to leave your former life behind, but at this point my life is in the present and the future. I have a wonderful husband and a life, great friends. It's time I moved past banging my head against a brick wall. I can't allow myself to respond anymore, otherwise I'll end up insane from the irrationality. I've spent 10 years swimming upsteam and have committed to STOPping completely when it comes to my mother and her religion. From this point I am going to respect her and her religion.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I think that is a very healthy way of viewing things. Thanks for shareing it.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

JTP,

I agree that respecting her and her religion is a good idea. I hope she believes you when you tell her you will do just that.

I am not being pessimistic, just realistic, for your family may be emotionally and spiritually more in tune than mine, but here's what happened when I did the same thing:

They looked at it like I was slapping them in the face. In their eyes, if I did not completely come back into the JW religion, I was going against God. I believed differently. They could not accept that we should just agree to disagree the way that I did and the way that it seems like you are intending to view it.

Having said that, however, the attitude that you are approaching your mother with is about as fair as you can be to her. I wouldn't change your approach, just don't expect her to say, "OK honey, that's all I ever wanted." Hope for the best but be prepared for further challenges from her.

Brad

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    So yesterday I had a conversation with someone and connected very powerfully to what she said.
    The thing is, even if I don't prescribe to "let go and let God" it actually can work because she does believe that Jehovah is all powerful. So my answer is that I have to connect with her and tell her to pray and allow Jehovah to reach me if that is going to happen. To discontinue her emails and respect my choices. I am also going to stop. It's not my purpose in life to change her, to defend myself any longer.

Well I'm glad you got your answer I hope you didn't pay an arm and a leg for it I gave it to you for free here:<insert sarchazim>

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/83274/1363250/post.ashx#1363250

LOL, go a head and prescribe to "let go and let Dog" it does work and you free up all that negative energy for some real positives in your life.

Cheers for hearing now go out and make it work!

Kate

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I had never thought of it before. She said my trying to change my mother's beliefs was exactly what my mother was trying to do to me. That my preaching to her about how "wrong" her "true" religion was turns out to be equal. That I needed to write my mother a letter and simply state that from now on I would respect her religion, I would respect her beliefs and would respect her choices for her life. That I also would request respect for my life, choices, and beliefs. That as humans we do not have the power to change anyone

This is exactly how my mother and I are handling it. But she made the first move. She stopped trying to re-convert me, but I kept trying to make her see things. One day she said this "this country allows freedom of religion, and that goes for me too". I realized she had let go for me, but I hadn't let go.

That was a few years ago, and we are very close. I'm sure it hurts her that we are no longer JW's, but it isn't a topic of our conversations.

• Jez
    Jez

I did try this with my mother. She just said that I KNOW it is the truth and I have made the decision to leave it so must therefore suffer the consequences.

I told her to just forget religion. Just enjoy your daughter and move forward. She won't because SHE IS NOT ALLOWED to associate with me. Like she said, "What, am I suppose to get disfellowshipped for associating with you?"

But,,I might try again,,,why not, I have nothing to lose.

A good quote about anger. "Acid is more damaging to the vessel that contains it than the thing it is poured out onto."

Jez

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

JTP, I know where you are coming from, losing my relationship with my mother

was the most traumatic thing for me. But in truth I lost a bond with her before I

left the JW`s. I don`t know she simply closed the door and washed her hands of me.

Being my stepmom I believe in her own heart this made it easier for her, for our

relationship started going down as soon as I was older and capable of asking to

many questions that she wasn`t happy about answering. So now we just don`t talk

she actually told me that my husband & I would burn in hell!!!! Jeepers!!! Hang in there

and keep moving forward, my 30`s were the time in my life where I questioned everything,

I drove my husband crazy!!! I did find answers, and a little peace of mind, it will come.

In my thoughts.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I love it when I see the "ah ha!" light come on in others!

In this case, treating your mother with the respect you would like from her, even if she is unable to give it. Afterall, this is no longer about her, but about you, since you're the one with the bruised forehead and headache.

Taking the high road is never easy, but it has some interesting rewards. I'm curious to find out what her response is.

Goodonya!

Peace

Brenda

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Yep, that's the key, JustTickledPink.

It's been kinda scary for me to recognize how much like my mother I am. I share with her the belief that, when I know something to be true, I must act on it. We just disagree about what's true.

I recently had the revelation (while working with my therapist) that the source of my troubles with my mother is that we've both been trying to convert each other. I'm now working on changing my behavior, since I can't change hers. And things seem to be getting a bit more peaceful.

I actually told her, during one recent conversation, that I could love and respect her without seeing things the same way. I think it knocked her socks off--she really didn't expect that. Her concern is that, with her health so poor, if she's unable to make decisions for herself, my "unbelieving" brothers and I will do things that violate her beliefs. I told her that I respect her beliefs, and that she should give a medical power of attorney to my JW aunt--that if she took that step to make her wishes clear, I'd fight with all I've got to support her, in spite of the fact that I disagree with her. Then I sent her some information about how to do that.

Wow. Things really change when I change. What a concept.

Jankyn

• ddean3673
    ddean3673

Thanks for posting that, I was trying to figure out how to approach that very thing as I am returning "home" in a couple of weeks. The town I am from is very small in rural Louisiana, and I will probably see people from the hall who have never once called me, but always want to know how meetings are going for me these days along with that fake concern look they always give.

Now I can just say - I'm never so well that I don't need someone to pray for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit