Jw view of resurrection: will it be you who is resurrected???

by chuckyy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• franklin J
    franklin J

...truth is chuckyy, there REALLY IS a new world out there....really; and a resurrection too..

I was resurrected and am living in that new world now, and it really IS a paradise!

...translated into JW lingo...:"he fell away from the truth and is wordly now"

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

VM44,

The WT regularly repeats the same general argument. E.g., from Watchtower 6/1 1958:

LIFE

PATTERN RECONSTITUTED

The resurrection, then, of "all those in the memorial tombs" is absolutely certain. In the resurrection does God re-create the same body, atom for atom? No, God provides a new body, one made up of different atoms but one reasonably like the one a person had before death. It is not the identical body atoms that make one the same person in the resurrection, since even now the atoms in the human body are constantly changing. "In a year," says Science Digest of December, 1954, "approximately 98 per cent of the atoms in us now will be replaced by other atoms that we take in in our air, food, and drink." So in the resurrection it is not body atoms that God remembers and re-creates; what God holds in his memory is the life pattern of the creature. This is what makes the same person in the resurrection?the life pattern.

- to 10/15 1996:

The word "resurrection" is translated from the Greek word a·na´sta·sis, which literally means "a standing up again." (Hebrew translators of the Greek have rendered a·na´sta·sis with the Hebrew words techi·yath´ ham·me·thim´, meaning "revival of the dead.") Resurrection involves a reactivating of the life pattern of the individual, which life pattern God has retained in his memory. According to God?s will for the individual, the person is restored in either a human body or a spirit body; yet he retains his personal identity, having the same personality and memories as when he died.

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks Narkissos,

The Watcthower mentions "Life Pattern" Do they define what that is?

Where in the Bible is "Life Pattern" mentioned?

As far as other people are concerned, a ressurected individual with the "life pattern" of the deceased would be a facsimile of the person they knew. It could be a "perfect" copy of the person, but would it still BE the same person?

Perhaps the resurrected one should be designated "Release 2.0" of the individual. I am not trying to be funny here. This is a serious question.

Indeed, what would prevent Jehovah from imprinting our "life pattern" onto a body while we are still living? It would result in TWO people having the same personality and memories. Would I expect to experience what the other person who is just like me is experiencing? The answer is NO. So why should I expect to experience in the future what a body who has my memories is experiencing?

Why should we have any anticipation of any personal connection with a future person imprinted with our "life pattern"? THAT is what I want the Watchtower to answer!

--VM44

• FairMind
    FairMind

I agree that to us mere mortals it seems incomprehensible that we might totally cease to exist (except in God’s memory) when we die and it still really is us if and when resurrected. There are many things about God and how he does things that we are incapable of understanding. For example, many people wonder where in our universe God resides? The answer to me is obvious. God is not in our universe since he created the universe. Wherever God is it is outside our space/time continuum, not physical and therefore something we are incapable of understanding.

FM

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

If time is a timescape and composed of tiny time particles, at your death it could be recorded at which unit you were dead. Then, upon resurrection remove the particles between the 2 events and there you have it. Continuity. Of course, then it could be said there is no continuity anyway even in your original life or in any other event if time is a discrete particle indivisible beyond its Heisenburg limit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit