Should I send this response or not?

by Hecklerboy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I sent an email to my brother about a new truck I bought and got a reply about how the end of this system is so close and I should really return to Jehovah. My brother and his wife are studying now. I'm not DF or DA, I just quite going to the meeting about 8 years ago. Now they are hammering on me to start back. I'm worried if I say too much that they will DF me and my family won't talk to me anymore but I really want to send this response. Maybe it will make him think a little before he makes a big mistake. Read it over and feel free to add some thing I left out.

As far as going back to the meetings, no thanks. I've had my fill of having my life ran by a religion. I like thinking for myself and making my own decision. You and R----- should think really hard before you get baptized. Remember, once you are baptized you can never go back. Remember how mom and T----- wouldn't come to my wedding. Now how loving is that? The whole shunning thing really bothers me. How is it right to never associate with someone just because they don't believe what you believe anymore. Sound pretty childish to me. You guys should ask some hard questions before you do anything serious. Like why was the Society a member of the United Nations Non-Governmental Organization for 10 years when they are supposed to be no part of the world? And I really don't like how they continue to change their teaching on things. For instance, years ago it was wrong to have an organ transplant and thousands of people died, then they changed it and it was OK. Think of all of the people that have died over the years and then they just decide it's OK. The same thing is happening now with blood transfusions. They used to not allow any type of blood products, now they are allowing blood fractions. That's like saying you can't eat chicken noodle soup, but it's OK to eat chicken, noodles, and vegetables. Just doesn't make much sense to me. Millions of people have died needlessly. Doesn't sound very loving to me.

Also, did you know they change the entire 1914 generation meaning? It used to be they would say that Armageddon would come before everyone born in 1914 died. "Millions now living will never die" was the famous quote. Now they've changed it. Armageddon might not come for another hundred years. They've been saying that Armageddon is coming for over 150 years, even setting dates as to when it was coming and nothing has ever happened. It's just another way of keeping people hanging on. And if the end is coming so soon then why is the society buying up property in

These are just a few things that bother me about the Society and what they teach. I hope you guys do some research and ask allot of questions. If you still decide to be witnesses then that's just fine with me. I will still treat you the same as I always have. As for C------- and I, we are very happy and love our life together.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Nice letter, HB. But you know that you will be labeled an *gasp* apostate. All the things you list that bother you are exactly the buss words the elders are watching for to label "apostate".

I hope you can crack your family's foundation, but don't be surprised that they start shunning you. I found in the past that one thing dropped at an interesting time may help people listen. Too much info overwhelms and labels are applied.

Just my 2 cents.

Joy

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Good letter.

I have no doubt though that letter will get you branded an apostate and probably DF'd.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

You make good points, but could you make the same points over the phone? Then you could discuss it with him without leaving behind a paper trail. If it's important to you not to be DF'd, a one-on-one phone call would be safer.

Or meet him for lunch. Just make sure it's one on one. No "two witnesses" to your APOSTASY! ;-)

Dave

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I have no doubt though that letter will get you branded an apostate and probably DF'd

I very much doubt it.Not if they havent been to a Meeting in 8 Years.

• Golf
    Golf

HB, you hit the nail on the head when you said, 'childish.' I don't know your situation so I can't contribute much. You know your family and friends better than I do, so proceed accordingly.

We on the board understand your situation but the so-called 'christians' friends/relatives don't. Their initial reaction will always be negative and most often stay in that mode.

Do you think staying aloof for awhile would be to your advantage? Just a thought.

Guest77

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Thanks for the replys. I haven't sent the response yet and I'm thinking I won't. Maybe I'll send a modified version and not go into too many details. Just tell him I no longer want to attend the meetings and I'm very happy with my life. My mother is in bad health and may not be with us much longer. I would hate for her to have to shun me because of some religion's childish behavior. So far I've been keeping a low profile. I've already told my mother that I'm not going back to the KH and it hasn't effected our relationship so far. I know it really burns my wife's but when my brother starts preaching to us. You can just see the brainwashing starting to take hold. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I want to keep talking to my family, but I hate to see my brother being brainwashed by them.

• upside/down
  • Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy
    I WOULD however, not say that YOU THINK if you are afraid of being labelled an apostate. Modify it to the point that you are questioning things that you have heard 'from a good friend' or whatever. State that you are doing some research about a few matters that have been brought to your attention. List them like you did, and then ask for his help. Tell him that if he can help reconcile these things, that you would consider going back to the meetings. Make it sound like you are in the process of searching. That these issues are 'stumbling blocks' to you.

Good points Jez, as of now I'm avoided the conversations. I used to blow them off, but now they are really starting to bug me. Especially now that my brother and sister-in-law have the "holier than thou" mentality. When I was a witness he was off chasing women in bars and living with them. I never once condemed him for doing it. I respected his right to make his own decisions. It just really bugs me when they start preaching. Here is part of the email he sent me that has me all fired up.

JUST BE CAREFUL.THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT HAVE MUCH TIME LEFT.THINK VERY SERIOUSLY
    ABOUT YOUR STANDING WITH JEHOVAH.THERE STILL IS TIME TO TURN AROUND AND
    SERVE HIM.THERE ARE 6.5 MILLION PEOPLE THAT ARE SERVING HIM NOW,YOU AND C---- COULD BE AMOUNG THEM,AND BE SURE OF YOU FUTURE.PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS,ME AND MY FAMILY WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU GUYS IN PARIDISE.WELL GOTTA GO,HOPE YOU GUYS ARE DOING WELL.TELL EVERYBODY WE SAID HI.
  • Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I showed the original response letter to my wife last night. She loved it. She really wanted me to send it but agreed that it would probably just cause trouble and we both want to be able to visit with my mom. She's never been a witness and was raised a baptist. Now that's love for you, an EX-JW and a Baptist getting married. She really hates it when my family starts preaching to us. They even did it at my great aunt's graveside service. She almost went off on them. She's given me allot of strength to be able to tell them I'm not going back to the KH. We've never preached to them about our religous views. We respect there right to do their own thing. Why can't they just do the same?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit