Jonah as Fiction

by Leolaia 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Greenpalmtreestillmine....The story in Jonah also has fascinating implications for Universalism. The unfulfilled OT prophecies of the future "Day of Yahweh" when he destroys his enemies and the unfulfilled NT prophecies of the coming judgment in Revelation has spawned many expectations of a violent Second Coming and Armageddon among Christians and of course among Jehovah's Witnesses. The spirit of much of the NT however is summed up in John 3:16 of God loving "the whole world" and wishing that all would not perish but having "eternal life". Most objections to Universalism mention these apocalyptic prophecies as evidence that all will not be saved. But Jonah shows that prophecies of divine judgment are not absolute and may be averted depending on our actions. I think Jonah gives the Universalist a biblical basis for arguing that despite all the prophecies of a coming judgment, these may eventually be rendered null and void -- given enough time.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Finally-- some logical and reasonable conclusions!

I concur... and was wondering if anyone else GOT THE POINT! This kind of debunks many of "christendom's" outlandish and "God" dishonoring beliefs. It fits...

u/d Ponder

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Leolaia,

But Jonah shows that prophecies of divine judgment are not absolute and may be averted depending on our actions. I think Jonah gives the Universalist a biblical basis for arguing that despite all the prophecies of a coming judgment, these may eventually be rendered null and void -- given enough time.

I agree!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

: " But Jonah shows that prophecies of divine judgment are not absolute and may be averted depending on our actions. I think Jonah gives the Universalist a biblical basis for arguing that despite all the prophecies of a coming judgment, these may eventually be rendered null and void -- given enough time."

Whew! Thank god. With my attitude, I was a goner, and so was Samuel Clemens! ;-)

• Golf
    Golf

Leol, that is some 'tough love' since the Ninevites didn't know their ass from their elbow!

Guest77

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This makes me think that Jonah is also one of the first and best expressions of Jewish humour -- which is so completely missed by deadly serious Christian theologians...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

One thing I like about the jonah story is that even the "so-called" inferiour domestic animal were mentioned as a reason for God not to overthow the city. Now that is classic clearly the portrail here is a Zorastrian completely "Good" God.(correct me if I'm wrong).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, it is a humorous image...of animals in herds and flocks putting on sackcloth and praying to Yahweh with all their might (Jonah 3:7-8). That would've been something to see!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The "cry" that came up about the wickednesss of the city paralleles the Sodom and Gommorah legend of Gen 18. Perhaps that was an influence as well. The size of the city being 3 days journey to cross or circle is an obvious example of literary license. It was not anywhere near that size. If the 3 days refers to a travel time from the coast to Ninevah, as asserted by those eager to defend Bible literalness, he must have been riding a Toyota. Some attempt to say the whale/moster delivered him straight to Ninevah. The narrartive does seem to suggest this was the intent of the writer. Ninevah was on the great Tigris. This would mean the whale circled the tip of Africa and came up the river, of course the author likely had no idea of the scope of that feat. The Hercules connection is strong, he was himself swallowed by a sea monster and escaped, Joppa being the setting there as well. In fact being swallowed seemed a common experience for heros, India's Saktedeva and Persia's Jamahyd. The three day motif is likely some left over from the sun worship/Hercules connection.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    The book of Jonah contains one of the most famous stories in the OT: the account of a cowardous prophet who was swallowed whole by a giant fish.

Where did that come from ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit