Brought up as a Witness

by newbie-australia 26 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

I was a "company man" all the way! Although not raised as one I became a Dub at 20(ish)

• Abandoned EVERYTHING (college scholarship & family too) for the "Troof"
    • Regular pioneered
    • Moved "where the great are needed"- 12 years.
    • served on kingdumb hall building committee
    • MS for about 10 years. Gave public talks...
    • done every menial job they could throw at me- with a smile!
    • married "only in the lord"(wife 3rd gen. Dub)
    • gave all my extra $$ to "the lord"
    • Did everything I was told- everything!

And then had 20 years worth of hard work, deprivation and slaving for "the lord", finally rewarded!!!

With SHUNNING and total ABANDONMENT in my hour of greatest need! Can you FEEL the love?

u/d Gagging

• garybuss
    garybuss

Raised by Witness parents, left as a believing walkaway when I was 30 in 1974, shunning began when I mentioned I didn't believe the Witness basics. At first I was fractionally shunned until I notified those enjoying that sport that it was not to be allowed any longer. Now I am shunned by most Witnesses.

I don't have anyone important to me who are Witnesses any longer.

The shunning has been a gift to me, it identified the people who want to be on the off list. It has all worked out well.

• rosemary
    rosemary

I am so lucky i have never been in any of your situations....i just don't know how you guys coped with it all.....i am so pleased i never became a JW.....

• M.J.
    M.J.

There are also people who are on this board because they have JW loved ones, as is my case. I have never been a JW but amazingly despite all the wisecracks and such, through this board I have learned how to empathize with JWs and better understand where they are coming from.

• Hondo
    Hondo

Was anyone ever reversed shunned? In other words, because you joined the JW's did your non-JW friends or non-JW family members refuse to have anything to to do with you because they felt you joined a cult, or for some other reason? My ex-wife joined at the age of 55 years (two years ago). Although I did not shun her I had great difficulty dealing with her attending numerous meetings and spending many hours away from home (this eventually led to our divorce). Her two sisters and mother essentially do not want anything to do with her anymore because they feel she destroyed my family and marriage, and because they more or less equate the JW's with the Aum Shin Riku cult in Japan (sisters and mother are all Japanese Nationals). It is not a hateful type shunning, but more one of fear; fear my ex will spend her time trying to convert them, which is not the way they want to remember her, and as a result do not desire her to visit or spend time with them. It's a sad situation all-a-round.

• under74
    under74

Hondo-

My mother's side of the family hass a long history of run-ins with JWs, and further back Millerites, so when my mom joined as a teenager there were some cousins that refused to speak to her....I really think though that a lot of it had to do with them thinking the religion would be all consuming and she would try to preach it--which she did.

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Welcome! I am another Aussie poster, there are quite a few of us here. I wasn't born a JW, converted in my 30's. Faded over 2 years ago, I am not DA'ed or DF'ed.

I'ld love to hear from you. If you want to, you can PM me ok.

Cheers matey (-:

Bliss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit