Don't wanna be a JW...Don't wanna be ex-JW

by FreedomFrog 27 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Everyone moves at their own speed, FF. I felt totally free of the religion within a year, but still have feelings about it because it was my life from birth to 46. It's part of who I am and always will be, but I choose not to be a part of it.

Therapy helps, and so does the support of the people on this board. There's comfort in knowing you're not alone.

Hugs,

Nina

• Swan
    Swan

If you still have family in, you will still think about it from time to time. You will always hope that eventually they will see through the veil and join you. You may find strength in being there for them in the case that they ever grow in their perspective as you did.

Tammy

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Never! HA I think if you live to be a million you never get over it everytime you see a joke on TV or in a Movie its like a cold hand grabs your neck! I don't think you'll ever be completly free....

Yup thats me Mister Goodnews!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    On average, how long does it take to give it up? To move on?

As long as it takes one to rebuild a new life.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Honesty???? What's this crap? Hasn't the WT taught you ANYTHING? You guys all should be able to lie a little bit...er, "new light, wait on Jehovah" or SOMETHING.

• Justin
    Justin

It's something you might always relate to in one way or another. What that relationship may be might change from time to time. There are various adaptations. I used to think of myself as an ex-cultist, but I don't anymore. It's like a foundation for your personality has been laid, and you can't change the foundation. You can only decide what you want to build on it.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

depends on ur approach... i have many friends and family who are JW's. i refuse to lose them based on the religion i choose to not be a part of. which means i will never be an ex-JW to the point of being DF'd... plus, my roots are there, and 90% of what makes me ME is tied to the JW's... as much as i hate the religion itself, i certainly would not change my ubringing.

if u want to maintain any kind of relationship with the JW's u intend on keeping as part of ur life, i suggest biting ur tongue on most of the things u have learned on this and other sites. it's hard, but needed for most people. i always look for an opening, but if it's not given, it's probably not welcomed.

bethel lights

• newbie-australia
    newbie-australia

I think if your situation requires a lot of contact with JWs you think about it more. The quicker you cut off, the quicker you' get over it'.

My family dumped me 8 years ago when I was DF'd and only Mum keeps contact. I am fine until I go to see her, then all the pain floods back, including memories etc...

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

I asked the PO in mye cong. He said after 4-5 years after you stop attenting meetings they would probably not take any formal action whatsoever.

I stopped knocking doors in 97 og dropped out of meetings in 98, I can now speak, eat and drink with my JW friends, but I can not attend meetings. Otherwise i would be whithin reach of the DF-arrangement..

Sam

• prophecor
    prophecor

Last thing I remember I was running for the door
    I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
    Relax said the nightman We are programmed to receive
    You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave

Hi Freedom Frog. Unfortunately for me, the above words from the song "Hotel California" symbolize my dillema. Its almost like belonging to the mob, trying to get out, but never truly getting it out of your system. Though with time, you do get better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit