Was anyone an actor in the District Convention Dramas?

by Low-Key Lysmith 23 Replies latest jw friends

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I was supposed to handle props once but some well placed slander stopped that cold. I was never counseled for wrongdoing or anything, but you know how it is.

OldSoul ~ of the "Bringing reproach on Jehovah" class ~

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

mulan one of my children was in that drama as well. i was never allowed to take her to practice because it was " secret" . i thought that was mean. lets not let mother enjoy anything! buttheads. oh but my then husband was allowed to take her and stay but he's super jw. (although at the time he was screwing my sister..) i'll never understand how gods holy spirit works! I think the holy spirit's on crack!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Well, I go further back than ANY of you! I played Jephthah's daughter back in the late 1960's, down in St. Croix. My dad, who was also the director, played Jephthah. I was about 11 or 12 and thought of this as my Big Acting Chance and threw myself wholeheartedly into the project. I memorized every line and was so looking forward to it, when . . . the day before the drama I was stung by a wasp and developed a horrible reaction to it: dizzy, fever, nausea. I went on anyway and passed out halfway through.

It was VERY dramatic! I was pissed and blamed Satan for ruining my good time!

Nina

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    nuts: i'll never understand how gods holy spirit works! I think the holy spirit's on crack!

As long as you are studying that Organization? for evidence of it, you never will understand how it works.

• Mary
    Mary

I was Jezebel all dressed up like a hooker, trying to seduce the..........oh wait! That wasn't a drama!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.geocities.com/jrista/19814.htm

I was in the 1981 Drama: Beware of Rebellious Talk

This drama was about the "great apostasy" that was going on at the time in the JW world. In the drama all of the evil apostates were swallowed up in a great earth-quake and killed by Jehover.

I was one of the good people who survived! My parents played two characters who were killed.

Tell me THAT isn't the very definition of irony!

• GetBusyLiving27
    GetBusyLiving27

I was Josiah in a drama once. It was the gayest part imaginable. I sat on a throne playing a harp and singing. The elder who was in charge of the program got his two snotty sons to play the honorable Christian's in the modern part of the act. Go figure.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Great thread,

I played Lot in the first and only childrens drama (all the actors were children) circa 1968?

My younger sisters still haven't gotten over my offering them to the sodomites.lol

Great thing about dramas is you don't really need to remember the words - just the gestures (and make sure your beard stays attached).

Like wasa I always helped making the props - fake lakes, tower walls, costumes etc.. Hardest one was the Paul drama in New Guinea where I had to play three different parts - had to rehearse all night before (my head aches thinking about it).

unclebruce

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

ROTFL@Mary!

Ah jezabeel ...and that lovely wine spill'n rider of the beast ..

and another thing .. we down here in Aust always felt weird acting to an american soundtrack. Loved the way you guys said.. Jeehooovaaahh

Then there were the night time dramas .. (shades of nuremburg) ..freezing ones butt off in a grandstand till 9 oclock at night - those were the days.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I had a crowd bit part in the Aachan drama.

Got my first taste of being on stage; it was distinctly a heady moment. I guess it was all downhill from there; eh?

BTW: Haven't the dramas really gone downhill lately? I mean, they are all modernday no costumes, no executions, no miraculous special effects. I mean, they were more effective teaching tools when people actually paid attention. Does somebody at Bethel just want the whole of dubdom to get bored and go away?

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit