Magazines adding up at the KH ?

by cab1000 17 Replies latest jw friends

• cab1000
    cab1000
    write website URLs [freeminds, silentlambs and quotes] on the front covers with a small message for the potential reader.

Thats a great idea!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

In my congregation they split up the extra magazines among the pioneers and such.

DY

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

As magazine servant, I did just change people's order on my own when it was obvious they were "irregular". I let it go for quite a while until I didn't have much space left in the folders. That particular congregation also had alot of publisher turnover and alot of them wouldn't even bother telling me they were moving. I felt sorry for the trees but not for the WTS pocketbook.

The PO got rather agitated over the large stacks of magazines that were always being brought back to the hall. Out of the roughly 500 AWs and 500 WTs ordered per issue, I'd end up getting back about 10% of them on average, which the pioneers used for their early morning street witnessing and laundromat/gas station runs.

As a fader I have 2 of each as my standing order and the stack doesn't get that big even with 6-8 week intervals between pickup.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I have always wondered how many magazines are actually read and how many are used for "toilet" paper. I see when I am getting on the Jdubs handing out magazines and most of them end up thrown on the ground or the garbage can.

Will

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Just last week, we bumped into the ms.and he says that he was holding unto all of our mags. It's been about two years since we stopped going to the hall. That means, there has been at least four C.O. visits and inventory had to be taken by the C.O. I guess no one is watching the shop anymore.

We told the ms. to give our mags to the pioneers. Then we asked him for the current ones in his bag, and parted company.

Now times that by the thousands who have left the hall quietly and you have a bunch of old mags sitting in the hall that no longer have the "present truth".

So the pioneers are placing mags that have no current meaning .

• Odrade
    Odrade

Ha, someone I know who is more or less inactive went to the meeting to pick up my magazines and they were basically told "sorry, no magazines for you!" LMAO!

Yeah, they will revise the magazine order and cancel yours if you're not there.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have often thought about the staggering amount of Awakes and WatchTowers that are piled in peoples homes and how many of them are just thrown in the garbage.

Many many years ago when my grandparents passed away they had boxes and boxes of magazines, all the way back to the nineteen 30s and we inherited them. My grandma had been putting the magazines in order and then bound them herself with cardboard covers and string. But there was thousands. So she never got finished. It wasn't until the 1950s that the society started Printing bound volumes. So my father asked us kids to put the mags, in order of the years and bind them the same way my grandparents had done. Funny thing though my sisters never helped me so in order to get some peace and quiet I spent hours and hours binding all those magazines in our basement. My mother hardly went down stairs alone in the basement becaause (yes that is the same basement my mother had seen demons and the devil in. )Guess what years later my father took all those magazines I bound and he throw them out because he was sick of carry them from one house we lived in to another. I was pissed because of at him because of all the work I did. Oh well.

My ex-husband was magazine servant in the late sixties and seventies and the magazines that were left over was unbelieveable. Thousands of them were never placed. So then I ask what happens to these magazines. The Society doesnn't take them back and pioneers can only use so much.

The waste is phenomenal. No wonder people use them for packaging and burning and toilet paper in an emergency. Great for kindling.

Thats my story and I'''m sticking to it.

love

Orangefatcat.. "procrastination is the thief of time "

• cab1000
    cab1000

Unlike other magazines, like PC Magazine, my stacks Watchtower magazines have not been read thru. I know my pioneer parents would have bunches left over, yet never did I see them throw them away, even after they studied them! Interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit