TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHTS ETC OF WT

by badboy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

Badboy, when it's original, it's YOURS. To guarantee it's originalty you must patent, copyright or trademark it.

Guest77

• Swan
    Swan
    i wouldn't think that the WTS has a leg to stand on

That is true, but the real question here is whose pockets are deeper? If the Watchtower can tie up an apostate website in a legal morass and with so many legal fees that it bankrupts the website, they have accomplish the their goal in a different way.

A great example of this is what another cult, the Church of Scientology, did to the Cult Awareness Network. CAN went bankrupt from all of the legal wrangling, and then the Scientologists bought their name for a song. If you call the Cult Awareness Network today, you will be actually talking to a Scientologist manning the phones.

Tammy

Edited to add this hyperlink: (http://www.rickross.com/reference/scientology/scien427.html)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Golf77 - in the US this is not entirely true of Copyrights - written, artistic, musical media. It is true of items that fall under patents and trade marks. See my previous post and look it up yourself at

http://www.copyright.gov/

A copyright exists if you are the writer (composer, performer of approved material, artist/creator) simply by it's existance. You have the right to collect any and all dollars collected from illegal sales of original material without filing for a Copyright. If your material is on file, you then have the right to also collect legal fees and charges. Under the current law, the copyright does not have to be registered nor does it have a 50-year life, as it did under the old law.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I quote regularly from other sources but I always cover myself by stating the source and that it is not my own material or thoughts

• badboy
    badboy

iS THEIR nwt AN ORIGINAL WORK?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    iS THEIR nwt AN ORIGINAL WORK?

Yes, in the sense that it is an original "translation" (and I use the term loosely ) of the original scripture texts. It can be copyrighted in the same way that any other Bible translation can. The NIV, NASB and many others are copyrighted, and permission must be secured before using them in another work. The King James Version, of course, predates any copyrights and is therefore in the public domain.

• badboy
    badboy

Thanks for the info,Neonmadman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit