Shopping for a new bed

by Elsewhere 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It looks like my bed had just about had it and it's time to get another one... but I have no idea how to shop for one.

I've tried looking at review web sites, but there are very few with almost no information. Something I keep seeing at the stores are the "no turn" mattresses. I'm used to turning my mattress every few weeks or months and I find it very hard to believe that a mattress can remain firm and comfortable without turning it. Are these "no turn" mattresses just a scam so that they manufacturer can save money by only putting one side on the mattress? The only reviews for these I can find are written by companies that sell them... so of course they say they are great.

Another thing I'm wondering... do I really need to buy a new spring box with the new mattress? The people at the store say that I do, but I just don't see how that part of the bed can wear out.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I just bought a new bed a few months ago.

I got one with the memory pillowtop foam ontop of an oversized mattress. The bed is super tall!

It's really cool and so comfortable.

The only thing is that the sheets that fit with the super deep pockets cost more $$$ than standard sheets.

I think you only need a new box spring if you want the colors to match or if the other is broken.

I'm not 100% sure though.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Hi Elsewhere,

Here is my $0.02 . . .

I have the no-turn matress. I didn't buy it by choice, but I need an extra-firm matress, and the only one I could find (without the pillow-top) was this no-turn matress with double-decked coils/springs. I've had it for about a year now, and it's holding up pretty well. I don't flip it over, but I do occasionally rotate it for even wear. It has individual springs (I'm not sure what that is called), which I love, so it minimizes movement. Meaning, if I'm holding a cup of coffee and someone gets in the other side of the bed, my side stays still and the coffee doesn't spill.

With regards to getting a new box-spring . . . I can't help you there. I have a platform bed which doesn't require/take a box spring - just the matress. If you're getting a new bed frame, that might be something to consider. Just know that while you save the money up front in not having to buy a box-spring, you pay a little in the long run as your matress doesn't last quite as long without a box spring.

- CF

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Oi Elswhere, worn yer bed out already, 'ave ya? (wink wink, nudge nudge, know wot I mean? ) You dog!!!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

We have a sleep number bed - they're expense but wonderful!

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I just went out and shopped until I found a mattress as firm and hard as a slab of cement and bought it. Love it.

• Princess
    Princess

We have a sleep number bed too. Worth every penny. Love it.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hi Elsewhere,

I had a traffic accident a couple years ago and decided to shell out some money and buy a real mattress. I got a King Koil, which is unbelievably comfortable. I'd recommend that brand to anyone.

SNG

• Xandria
    Xandria

I was helping a friend of mine who has health issues. He cannot stand pressures on his back.

http://www.sealy.com

http://www.the-mattress-co.com/tempurpedic-bed/

http://www.gomattress.com/adjustable-bed-mattress.htm

These are just some of the things I found.

X.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Oi Elswhere, worn yer bed out already, 'ave ya? (wink wink, nudge nudge, know wot I mean? ) You dog!!!

Well, ya know... I've put quite a few "miles" on my current bed.... Woof

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit