JW Funerals

by Low-Key Lysmith 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Hey Swan,

Are there any EX-Dub meeting groups in the P-town area that you know of?

• Swan
    Swan

Actually there is one today, but I won't be able to attend. Do you like bowling?

http://exjw.meetup.com/31/

• Navigator
    Navigator

I have advised my children that if anyone attempts to give me a funeral in a Kingdom Hall or by a JW Elder, I will come back and haunt them. Although I have a large number of JW friends, the majority of people that would attend would be non-JW. There is no way that I would want them subjected to the JW bullshit that I hear at almost all JW funerals. As has been indicated, there is very little said about the deceased, and the Elders see it as an opportunity to recruit new members.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I had almost the same exact experience at my grandmother's funeral - this thread below says it all.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/55808/815794/post.ashx#815794

I am sorry for your loss.

TresHappy

• Leilani
    Leilani

I really can't believe the difference between congregations and how they handle things. Yes, there are many key "rules" they all follow, but reading some of the accounts on here, and those of my brother, who was DF'd over a year ago from another congregation in a different town, it blows my mind how the congregation I attended seems so much more "human". When my father died (he was a baptised JW) we had his service at the KH he had gone to since I was a child. The speaker (a close friend of my father's and a kind of surrogate father to me growing up) did the usual paradise speech and bible scriptures but he also talked much about my father as person and had everyone laughing at some examples of my father's quick wit and his loving nature. In that respect, those of us who were no longer or never had been witnesses, did not get the feeling it was only a JW meeting or a means to convert people. Even though I had been DF'd 20 yrs at the time he died, all the JWs I knew came up and gave me a hug and said a few words of comfort. They didn't talk my ear off and I didn't expect them to, but they weren't cold to me either. My father never shunned me after I was DF'd and those in the congregation never pressured him to nor treated him coldly because he didn't shun me.

On the other hand, the congregation my brother attends have been inhumane in their treatment of my brother. But that's a subject for another thread.

I guess I was fortunate. I actually liked most of the people in the congregation I attended and still do, except for the few I wouldn't have liked anyway, despite the circumstances, because they were just anal retentive to start with.

Sorry you had such an awful experience. It's hard enough to lose a loved one without all that extra crap.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Personally, I want a Requiem Mass when I'm dead (listen to Mozart's requiem, you'll see why).

As for JW funerals, I've only seen the peddling to a certain extent; however, there are some people who used the dead person's life as a way of peddling, which I'm sure that the dead person wouldn't have minded.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Welcome Low-key; my daughter lives in SLC, a transplant to Mormon country. Loves it there but really feels the huge Mormon influence everywhere. Anyway, your posting of the JW funeral sounds like one I went to for a friend's dad. They felt the same way. I had the opposite experience at my brother's Catholic funeral, where his only son, daughter and family would not come into the church and sit with the rest of the family. Until then I had no idea of the really warped teachings of the JW's. That brought me to this board to learn more. It boggles my mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit