Jehovah's Witness commercial?

by nicki23 9 Replies latest jw friends

• nicki23
    nicki23

Hi everyone. This is my first post although I have been reading on this board for over a year now. I just had to post because I saw the most unbelievable thing the other night - a commercial for Jehovah's Witnesses. A couple nights ago I couldn't sleep and I turned on the tv. This commercial comes on and it's a teenage girl chatting with a guy on the internet. They're talking about how they miss each other and are sending lovey-dovey messages to each other. Then it shows the guy on the other end of the conversation - mid-forties, fat, balding, smoking a cigarette, drink in hand, etc. Then the commercial flashes to the same girl spending time with her family and the voice over says something about monitoring your children and how spending time with the family is important. Mind you, I'm not really paying too much attention considering the fact that it is 2:00 in the morning. The thing that caught me by surprise was the ending. They were showing the family together and then on the bottom of the screen it says "___" Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and a phone number. It flashed by so fast that I didn't get a chance to see what congregation it was. Needless to say I was floored. Don't get me wrong, I had no problem with the message at all, but I just never expected to see a commercial sponsored by the witnesses. Has anybody else seen this commercial or anything similar? Maybe this is a new way to spread the good news without having to knock on doors.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried to do a search for it and came up with an error message.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Nicki

Yes , its not on over here in the UK at all, but I have seen it on the JW media site online, along with other VNR's (Love Builds Happy Families ...springs to mind) BTW.......Don't you have Mormon adverts over there as well??

Scoob

• upside/down
    upside/down

I'm not advocating, but from a "matketin/promotiona" viewpoint - the Mormons TV ads are TITS (means they ROCK)!

They are very inviting and sound sooooo goooood!

Beware! Can we say "posing as angel of light"?

u/d

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hi Nicki23, And Welcome to the Board!!

Yes, i saw the same commercial the other night and could not believe it. It wasn't too badly done, either. But i think the message they want to send is Internet=Bad Association, stay off of apostate websites. I don't think children's welfare is one of their major concerns.

FreeFallin

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

Dude, I'm tellin' ya:

When Prince became a Witless, he musta donated a crapload of money and the Gooberning Body was like,

"hey, this is like the most money we've ever had! what should we do with it? More quick-builds?--nah. More donations to tsunami relief?--nah. HEY! let's make a commercial. That'll bring in all the suckers sheeplike ones seeking truth!"

Donation: the best nation in the world.

laters

kaykay_mp

• filip
    filip

Yeah, Ive seen that commercial too, but not on the TV, they actually showed it at the last assembley I was to a couple a months ago.

Its a commercial something similar to that video for young people that Watchtower sent out a couple years ago, I think it was called: "How to choose good friends," or something. They had set it up like something in The bold and the Beatiful, where this JW-girl gets tempted by the devil when she is sitting in this car next a guy who really wants to get in her pants.

Of course, she pass the test and everything end happily ever after. It was just really funny. You could just tell how bad the acting was, and it was really set in a "watchtower" way, just like that commercial.

• Leilani
    Leilani

So is the aging, balding, lecherous guy on the other end a JW? Goodness knows, they're a safehouse for that ilk.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Call the toll free # and give 'em Hades in a handbasket... JW-TOLL FREE NUMBER -866-388-2222

-BONEZZ

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I haven't seen that particular ad, but I have seen a couple of late nite ads for Dubdom. I think it's kinda funny, in light of my questions as a kid about "How come the Dubs aren't on Sunday morning TV like all the other religions?"

• label licker
    label licker

A few years back we had seen a commercial where two guys meet in a park and do a drug deal. It was so lame for the two guys were clean cut and well dressed in the video. It finishes with the big reference bible and scripture in Deut 6:6,7 about inculcating the word day and night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit