Who's Read Crisis of Conscience More Than Once?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    2x for me and I just gave my copy to an inactive friend.

He just emailed to say "I'm Free"

Is your friend John Inman?

• Unfettered
    Unfettered

Every time you read ANYTHING you will get more out of it. Part of the reason for that is that we are constantly growing and changing. When you read something you are filtering what you read through your current level of experience, viewpoints, and beliefs. Thus, there will literally be things you simply ignore, miss, or just don't get the first time around. As you grow and your experience and your beliefs change your perspective changes and when you read something again you are able to then see more clearly things you couldn't quite grasp before.

I think I've read it about 3 times and am due for a 4th time along with the other books as well. As someone mentioned refreshing oneself of the details is necessary from time to time and is very encouraging as well.

• Unfettered
    Unfettered

Everybody contradicts themselves from time to time since no one is perfect in the art of writing/communicating one's thoughts. What may seem like a discrepency may not be... and/or can be selective on the part of the writer. For instance he may not think of talking to an individual here and there as "teaching" groups of people. In his mind teaching groups of people might be more akin to organizing actual separate bible study groups on a regular basis. I don't think he could rightly be accused of fomenting dissention and acting against the society just because he's talked to a few friends or people who approached him.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Every time you read ANYTHING you will get more out of it. Part of the reason for that is that we are constantly growing and changing. When you read something you are filtering what you read through your current level of experience, viewpoints, and beliefs. Thus, there will literally be things you simply ignore, miss, or just don't get the first time around.

I so agree! I read C of C for the first time within a few months of my exit from the WTS. At that time, there was such a carload of info that I didn't even know about-much less seeing it dealt with in a step-by-step process.

I seemed to zero in on what I *did* now of and went from there. I'm in the process of re-reading it now, and I'm getting SO much more out of it, now from the point that I now have gotten to today. (Did that make sense?)

More than likely, I'll read it again a few more years from now....

Annie

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Many times. I'm a speedreader - the habit is so ingrained I can't stop, so I tend to miss a bit here and there. But going back over it helps me get the nuances - the dialogues, etc.

CZAR

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I read the first edition about five years ago and read the 2004 edition just a couple of months ago. I have to agree, I got much more out of it the second time around.

• minimus
    minimus

What's the major differences from the 1st edition???

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I've read Crisis of Conscience twice, and agree with the others that you do get more out of the book the during the second read.

• kls
    kls

I have read it only once and want to read it again but as with the first time when i read it the rage takes me over and i want to beat sense into my husbands head. The book COC sits proud on my dresser for him to see every day but he just ignores it's title. One day again i will reread it and the rage will take over again as i scream to the blind and dumb.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes read the 1st edition and the 2nd edition and own acopy of the 3rd edition which I have also read

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit