Have you ever been marked?

by Dustin 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Khazar
    Khazar

Yes. I married a non-Jw and was disfellowshiped. I made several attempts at reinstatement but was discouraged by the elders who even called the police to get me out of the Kingdom Hall. (Such a criminal I was). It is funny now but at the time it caused me to have a nervous breakdown. Consequently, my dilemma was never resolved as this behavior continued for years. One elder in particular would come to me in the Hall (during all this time I was still disfellowshiped and trying to get reinstated between mania and depression) and he would get five inches from my face and I would say "What"? He would reply, "I am looking for marks on your forhead". That terrified me, so I stayed away few more years before trying it again. I thought all this was happening because Jehovah had removed his spirit from me, making me spiritually weak and susceptible to demon possession, which occupied a large part of conversations between me and my psychiatrist. Thanks to this website I resolved the conflict myself. Thanks for helping me out of my prison. Something even my shrink was unable to do all those years.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I was the goodie goodie pioneer girl who got baptized at 11 yoa and pioneered her way through home schooling. But things change quickly if you deviate off their tiny little path of stupid rules.

All I can say is this... I'm extremely happy in my life, have a wonderful husband, wonderful house and living well is the best statement. The JWs I knew that did follow all the rules were very unhappy, I'm glad I decided to quit trying to jump through stupid hoops for idiots.

• jws
    jws

Dustin and CherryBlossomGirl, what parts of Wisconsin are you from? Milwaukee?

As for marking, that seemed such a vague thing. I think my brother and I were marked, but it seemed more like every individual had to make up their own mind on whether to mark you. Presumably, it would be an individual decision to "unmark" you.

With us, there was no announcement, just a talk. They mentioned people going to rock concerts, wearing the styles of the world, bodily training, and other things that sort of fit my brother and I, and maybe a few other people. We were never named specifically. So, each person hearing that talk would have to think "do I know anybody that fits that description"? And if they did they might mark them. Some people may not have known what we did outside of the kingdom hall and may not have marked us. Others might have thought it fit us and marked us. Without it being "official", how can I be "officially" unmarked?

It seemed marking had no real consequences either. People at the hall might avoid us in social settings, but so what? We had wordly friends and it pushed us closer to them. We did not lose any privileges in the hall. A few years later when I got private reproof, I couldn't comment, give talks, or say prayer - things I didn't like doing anyway. Eventually, they called on me say prayer, which signaled my private reproof was over.

Maybe it works like reproof. Eventually, they have you say prayer and that shows you are OK to associate with.

• dins
    dins

Marked, branded with an M, tarred and feathered......

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I was of the distinct impression. that only un-baptized persons were Marked!! What a F****ing stupid thing that is. So if an elder takes a dislike to you and he is influential. he can convince the other elders to make your life a living hell.

Marrying out of the org. didn't necessarily. mean you were going to be disfellowshipped. Man I hate that word too. Leave it to the witnesses to come up with these made up names. I am glad you married and are happy good for you.. And amen to the poster who said that Jesus associated with all kinds of persons. Good and bad. Who are the witnesses that they should judge the household of another?

Yes it seems to be quite true, that JWs aremiserable. with their lives and we are happy little campers. I can't imagine Jesus making people miserable, so it must be all the rules and regulations that the Governing Body have made up and gone beyond the things written. Or add to the things written and call it God's law.. Perhaps they should check the last chapter of Revelation to see what happens to those who add or take away from the word of God.

I see some Newbies here. Welcome...

Love Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit