when did you stop believing?

by cherryblossomgirl 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cherryblossomgirl
    cherryblossomgirl

The light faded for me when I was twelve. I asked my uncle what happened to all the people who couldn't be reached by the "truth" in far off lands, or little kids whose parents didn't believe...ect... "Would they still die in Armagedon?" He answered yes, and from there on, whether it was BS or not, I couldn't believe. I used to have dreams of birds ripping off my face on judgement day.

Share your stories!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yeah I had a similar conversation with my father in law. He was an elder, and partook at Memorial and I asked if some little girl picking flowers in China would be killed and he gave the same answer. Very troubling.

I left in 1989 over the child abuse issue, i.e. that the WTS requires 2 eyewitnesses for a child to be beleived. It astounded me that they would have something so stupid, and so obviously slanted toward the offender. I was even more angered when I found out that the child (or their parents) were forbidden to report the matter to the police since it would be slander, and "Jehovah hates liars".

That was when I thought I didn't care if God himself says so, this is wrong and I won't be a part of it.

I just wish we had the internet back then. Would have made the whole thing so much easier.

• jwbot
    jwbot

I am not sure I ever believed....I remember being a little girl and asking my parents how they knew God existed...and wanting really bad to believe but I just "didn't get it". I left it alone after that but I think from there, my doubt moved on to the organization itself. I mean, I spent time in the "real world" and could see the "worldlies" were not as evil as JW's were saying...

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

When they called me an "unbeliever"!

I was not baptized and that's what they called me. After being in it my whole life. However, they let you go out in service and preach the good news! Yet, what you preach is not what you believe in? Does not make sense to me. Then with my whole wedding on how they boycotted it because I was not baptized. I was never warned about it either. Elders said: "congrats" "when is the wedding?" But then the Thursday night before my wedding they told everyone not to come because I was an "unbeliever" and I was warned and My husband and I didn't care and we were going to marry anyway.

I did show the elders that it said in the Bible: "They began to believe and then they were baptized" and that it doesn't say they were baptized and then they began to believe....they had no comment!

Brooke

• Dustin
    Dustin

In one meeting I went from being the next ministerial servant to being reproved. It was simply because I had a litle too much to drink at my bachelor party a year prior. Some jealous little prick who wasn't even there for long told on me. I still kept trying, but it just killed all I had left. I had been through marking about a year prior(but that's another story). I finally started to go to meetings halfway regular again, when the final straw happened. A week before our District Cinvention an elderly sister bitched me out for parking crooked at the book study. The thing was the book study was being held at my brothers house. My wife and I went to the Didstrict Convention, skipped two days, felt stupid the other as I didn't talk to anyone. I then went to one other meeting where I decided once and for all I was done forever. I walked out at the end without saying a word to anyone and quit.

Dustin

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

When did you stop believing?

when i started fantasizing about Romy & Michelle...

• all_forgiving
    all_forgiving

God, some of these storys what to make me cry. You all as children should never have ever been made to feel scared or guilty for any of that. How often do JW's turn their back to people who were once friends?

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

That would be when the August 1, 2002 Watchtower came out. I remember reading it on the left side of my sofa. It was midday. I was floored at the nonsense. Read about it here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/81848/1.ashx

• cherryblossomgirl
    cherryblossomgirl

That's some funny stuff, Mungo, thanks for sharing

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

No problem. Say, what's up with your avatar? Kind of like Peppie Le Pew.. Only not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit