How has Tsunami affected you personaly?

by Brummie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Of course, it's a terrible tragedy. But, how "affected" are people by it?

I was at the mall the other day -- a mall that at one time was the largest in America. People were everywhere. Teenagers were prowling with their lowriders and cellphones. People looked bored standing in line. I got two pair of jeans at the Gap for half off. Everyone needs to look like the people they see on their hip reality TV shows. Got to get that caffe latte. Supersize it.

I felt a little ashamed, both of myself and "my" people. I've called myself a humanist. Fact of the matter is, I haven't really done much to be one.

Shit.

Bradley

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Honestly, I'm just kind of numb to the shear loss of humanity.

• Swan
    Swan

I was depressed for two days and didn't go to work. It was absolutely the worst disaster we have had in such a long time, that the devastation was mind boggling. I felt so badly for those people. Then later in the week I got more positive and took some action, which helped me to feel better, even though that was not my intent at the time.

Lately, I have gotten over some of the sadness and anger by looking at some of the more positive accounts. The case where the elephant on Phuket Island saved people by picking them up with his trunk and putting them on his back. The one where the family dog saved the 7-year-old boy. The one where a woman saved two children by grabbing onto a python snake. The guy who was late for work at the WTC on the morning of 9/11, and who was in SE Asia and escaped this disaster as well. Those stories make me think about how lucky some are, and that it is just happenstance. Disasters happen indiscriminately. Surviving them is often a matter of chance as well. Blink luck.

I still feel for the victims and their surviving family members, but it helps me to accept death if disaster were to befall me here and I was not lucky enough to be a survivor.

I also hope this disaster raisies enough money that when the cleanup is over, tsunami warning buoys can be set up in that area and in other parts of the world that still don't have them.

Tammy

• Special K
    Special K

It is my understanding that the coast off of Alaska already has an early warning system due to the big quake/tidal wave there some years ago.

The way I understand it they have placed special buoys out in the ocean off this particular pacific coasts with special lines or transmitters that monitor and disturbances in the water that is deep down.

apparently, a tidal wave only becomes visible as it nears land and shallower water and really isn't visible in the the deep water. The huge wave is occuring way underneath the surface.

I guess then the people would be warned then by radio police etc.

I still think a lot of people would lose their lives with a warning system but nothing like the loss of life that we have seen in Asia. A warning sysem would certainly be a good thing.

Am I wrong in saying that I heard that it was known that the quake occured in the Indian Ocean but there just wasn't anyway to notify all these people?

special K

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I truly don't know how it affected me personaly ... It's just soooo well BIG/TERRIBLE ... Soooo far but Soooo AWAKING on how nature can hurt ON A HUGE SCALE ... and it were it happen they already suffering so much PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF - Although all those kids alone ... what they will have to handle because of whatever related ... long process

At the same time, what I like is how the majority do react to it (that we know that they even over there are very helpfull people even to those from other countries and give all what they have for those who have lost everything). A French guy who came back with a part of a familly means and closes were crying about on TV he said he didn't even had the time to thank them (I've wondered why ... I don't know).

And well ... I do not wach TV and News very much it hurts ... Good thing : Nobody's responsible and it's interesting to see that in that case (huge catastrophes) everybody feels to help ...

• Mulan
    Mulan

It was very very upsetting to me. Seeing the orphaned children is the worst.

I have one contact in Indonesia, who let me know yesterday that he and his family were not affected and live far away from it all.

One of my friends in Malaysia let me know that his family was all right. I have several friends in Penang, (an island in Malaysia, very near Phuket, that was affected very badly, and have no way to contact them, so I just have to wonder and hope they are all right.

All in all, it's just one of those major tragedies that will live with me always.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit