How has Tsunami affected you personaly?

by Brummie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

Has it changed you're outlook on life all together? I know we are only the "lucky" bystanders but sometimes its still good to reflect on how we feel internally about these crisis.

I have only just been able to turn from the news, I'll probably have it back on in the next few minutes. Internally I feel shaken, anxious and helpless and am at the point of wanting to go over there but in reality I cant.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Brumm, I find it difficult to watch ANYTHING negative on TV..............I am so empathetic, that I have to watch what I watch and listen to............it affects me soooo much...............at this point, I watch and listen, and wait for when I will be able to be the most help...............

Terri

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I feel horrible for the people who are now dealing with extensive flooding after receiving over a foot of rain a couple days ago. Frying pan or fire?! I wish I were in a financial possition to donate, or my health better so I could help out here getting the aid workers organized. Portland has sent a number of medical workers, doctors and nurses, volunteers with NW Medical Teams, along with 7 fully loaded packs, each of which has medicines to treat up to 10,000 people.

I feel far more devastated for losses from human action. The WTC, airplane crashes, the horrors of war, terrorist destruction, even eco-terrorism. Man against mankind. I still cry my heart out when I see pix of the Twin Towers or Pentagon in flames.

What scares me even more are the "carpet baggers", the corporations that will go in afterwards to make their almighty millions and billions of overcharged dollars in the name of doing good.

Guess I'm a little cynical today...

-Brenda

Psst: Peace begins with me - pass it on!

• flower
    flower

I'm like sunnygal, I have a difficult time not being affected by other peoples traumatic events. I have only followed it in the print news as I dont watch the tv news very often but two nights ago I turned on CNN for the first time and I was in tears listening and watching some of the person stories. I couldnt help imagining it was my kid who ended up alone in the jungle like the little swedish boy or hanging on to the top of a tree like another not to mention those smashed around like little rag dolls. I sobbed and then I let my son crawl into bed with me that night although I normally insist he stay in his own room through the night...actually I went and got him. :-( The images are too disturbing..I'll stick to the print news.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    sobbed and then I let my son crawl into bed with me that night although I normally insist he stay in his own room through the night...actually I went and got him. :-(

((((Flower)))) I would have done the same thing...............after all, if we can't protect the masses, at least we can protect those closest to us!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

It hurt. It also bought home to me how fickle and media oriented we all are. Perhaps we need home videos to make it all real for us.

Since the early 70's almost a million people have died in Bangladesh alone from giant waves produced by a cyclones, including 138,000 during one night in the late 90's if I recall correctly. It is true that Bangladesh has little in the way of infastructure or a tourist trade on its coastal regions, so the property damage was markedly less. Perhaps this is a factor as to why it has recieved little in the way of publicity, and equally dismal reactions in the way of financial help from the worlds nations whenever its lands have been submerged.

The Tsunami disaster was a terrible tragedy, but it as well to remember that tragedies with similar loss of life occur regularly and get nominal 'air' time. Perhaps what we should learn from this tragedy is that people are people, whoever and wherever they are.

I see politicians racing to their podiums with their check books, many after being called out by their subjects for their lack of generosity and their lack of immediate concern toward the disaster. Politicians are reacting much more quickly than they used to, to public opinion - as well they should. That is something else that I have learned from the giant waves that attacked the Indian Ocean.

HS

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

We might very well be seeing our future. Say 20 or 30 years from now. Unfortunately those in charge turn a blind eye toward this possibility, so the tragedy will most likely be repeated. Except next time it will be Europe and the American east coast.

Still, very very sad.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I recant. Oh man. I saw more pictures of the aftermath last night on CBS news. Wow! Reminds me of the scouring done by Mt St Helens when she blew. Only more so.

150,000 est. dead. As the reporter said, destruction of biblical proportions! And the damage undersea to the coral reef. The confused fish. This is going to have an impact for many decades. Mind-blowing amazing.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

HS, that has gone through my mind too. The vast devastation in N Africa from the droughts and disease. Those fleeing their homes to other countries to avoid genocide. Maleria, AIDs, starvation. Where's the humanitarian relief for them?

• jwbot
    jwbot

I just can not beleive the shear number that this has effected. It makes me feel better to know that so so so many are so giving and want to do something. But its just....crazy....to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit