Why is it that a JW can't say Happy New Year?

by kls 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kls
    kls

New-Years eve my husband and i went to my sister's house to bring in the New-Year. My sister knowing much about JWS cornered my husband and said " Happy New-Year Don" and he replied" yep it's a 2005".

I have been away from the BS of Jwism for a long time and for the life of me i can not remember why it is wrong to celebrate a new year.

• blondie
    blondie

Reasoning from the Scriptures Book p. 180 Holidays ***

Are

New Year?s celebrations objectionable for Christians?

According to The World Book Encyclopedia, "The Roman ruler Julius Caesar established January 1 as New Year?s Day in 46 B.C. The Romans dedicated this day to Janus, the god of gates, doors, and beginnings. The month of January was named after Janus, who had two faces?one looking forward and the other looking backward."?(1984), Vol. 14, p. 237.

Both the date and the customs associated with New Year?s celebrations vary from one country to another. In many places revelry and drinking are part of the festivities. However, Romans 13:13 counsels: "As in the daytime let us walk decently, not in revelries and drunken bouts, not in illicit intercourse and loose conduct, not in strife and jealousy." (See also 1 Peter 4:3, 4; Galatians 5:19-21.)

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I asked that when I was a little girl...Mom says "It's demonic..."

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

a couple of years ago, when i was briefly reunited with my sister (a rabid JW), she wanted to come over and visit, 'cause we were both off from work and i said sure and she said oh wait that's new year's eve and i said uh-huh and she said she couldn't come and i said why not and she said, for reals, "someone might see me at your house on new year's eve". i'm like, you live in avondale i live in deer valley who's gonna see you all the way up here??? another time i had an american flag up and she visited and had the nerve to ask me to take it down 'cause she didn't wanna be in a house with a flag flying over it and i said why don't you go home then. she stayed and played scrabble and forgot all about the flag...

errrr.....

• kls
    kls

Oh that's why . Thank's Blondie. Why is it that we are not to live in the JWS past teachings, such as when they celebrated Holidays ( you know that new light thing) but they teach to live in the times before BC and JWS must adhere to that past. Nope ,,no mind-control here .

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    i had an american flag up and she visited and had the nerve to ask me to take it down 'cause she didn't wanna be in a house with a flag flying over it

I hope she never has to go to the courthouse to renew her license or to the post office to buy stamps or to a baseball game or ...

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

well, i guess she thought she it was ok to ask me to take down my flag... the day i take down a flag for someone else's priciples is the day they pry it from my cold dead fingers...grrr....

p.s. she goes to sporting events frequently, especially Diamondbacks games. she visits the facilities right before the national anthem...

• kls
    kls

(a rabid JW),,,,,,,Tee Hee. I gots to remember that one.

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

they can't say "happy new year" because they know that they are not going to have one.

pepheuga

• kls
    kls

Welcome Pepheuag and thank's for the laugh,,,,,,,,,,LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit