Thought provoking...I looked "apostate" up, etymology and all. It is such a nasty sounding word, recalling the stench of the "Inquisitors" burning non-Catholics at the stake - to "keep Spain pure" in The Faith. Outside of the religious realm it is nothing more than "renegade" or "defector" one who has left a religion, political party or cause.
Hooray!: I am a "defector"!
Like in the old Soviet system...which when you think of it, operated the same way as the "Organization":
* Centralized leadership;
* control of every aspect of members lives
* a priveleged class in leadership,
* heavy penalties for those who questioned its authority,
* a KGB-like spy network, with
* neither constitutional protections for members,
* nor limits of the power its leaders who act as judge, jury & executioner over members
Also, like the Soviet Union, many people wanted to defect, but stayed out of fear of what would happen to their family.
Doesn't this sound familiar?