The reason why the deceased are buried facing east.

by Schizm 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

If you click on the link below what you'll see is an aerial view of the Llano Cemetery, located in Amarillo, Texas -- the place where I'll probably be buried. The gravestones can actually be seen. They are the white specks, all layed out in rows. I have several relatives buried in Llano Cemetery (my grandmother, aunts and uncles). I visited the office there one day several years ago in order to ask for assistance in finding the gravesite of one of my uncles. While there, I had an interesting discussion with the gentleman who helped me to locate the grave--regarding the reason why the deceased are buried facing east. He explained that the reason for it has to do with the belief people have that when Jesus returns he'll come from the east, and so the dead are laid to rest facing east. Although I firmly believe in the resurrection and the return of Jesus I don't subscribe to the idea that he'll come from the east when he returns. In fact, I consider it to be a rather absurd idea ... but whatever floats people's boat I guess.

Click here and see all the gravestones from the perspective of an eagle:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/imageinfo.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=14&X=4846&Y=77936&W=3 .

• Schizm
    Schizm

For some reason the URL won't work unless it's copied and pasted into the address field. Anybody able to explain this?

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Schizm, buddy,

Did you check any other cemetaries before you accepted this ONE cemetary's story as being valid? Who ran the Cemetary anyway? What about the cemetaries in my city where they mostly face south?

Anyway, I don't want to waste much time on this silly topic but it does seem to go along with your one-track mind. At what point do you begin to realize that these ideas that you get might be more of a "problem" with your mind, rather than verification that your very same mind is functioning properly?

Brad

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Schizm, buddy,

Did you check any other cemetaries before you accepted this ONE cemetary's story as being valid? Who ran the Cemetary anyway? What about the cemetaries in my city where they mostly face south?

I don't know what accounts for the difference. Perhaps it has to do with the managements policy? I do know of another town's cemetery which has its graves facing the same direction as those at Llano.

No, I haven't talked to the personnel at any other cemeteries in order to find out their reasons for their practices. I simply related what I was told by an employee at the Llano cemetery. Why does my relating the story seem to irritate you?

Anyway, I don't want to waste much time on this silly topic but it does seem to go along with your one-track mind.

Why are you being so nasty?

At what point do you begin to realize that these ideas that you get might be more of a "problem" with your mind, rather than verification that your very same mind is functioning properly?

And what "ideas" might those be?

Again, why are you being so nasty?

• Been there
    Been there

Schizm,

I also have heard the same thing, but never looked into it. Maybe you could Google and find out more info.

Just to be "Silly" if you are creamated, which way are you facing?

• Schizm
    Schizm

Religion

The role of the church is very important within the Greek culture. The Greek Orthodox Church dictates the behaviour of people in bereavement; certain procedures need to be followed....

Burial

At the cemetery, the last funeral prayer is said and the body is buried facing east, because when Christ was born the guiding star was in the East.

http://www.pallcarevic.asn.au/mc/mcgreek.html

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Just to be "Silly" if you are creamated, which way are you facing?

Burial

Hindus prefer to be cremated, Christians & Muslims prefer to be buried. http://www.pallcarevic.asn.au/mc/mchindi.html

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Japanese:

Burial

Cremation would be expected, as in Japan they are not allowed to bury the body, due to the shortage of land. http://www.pallcarevic.asn.au/mc/mcjapanese.html

• Schizm
    Schizm

Macedonian:

Burial

Burial is essential. Within orthodox religion, cremation is not an option. An orthodox funeral ceremony is conducted. The body must buried in such a way that the eyes face where the sun rises.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Schizm,

Nasty??!! My comments were quite polite. Besides that, your responses seemed to validate my viewpoints. You made an assessment based on TWO cemetaries that gravesites point East becuase of your own pre-conceived belief that Jesus is coming back... and of course, that would be from the East.

You have made very rude comments to Gumby, for example, and then when people took offense to them you have pretended that you had NO ILL WILL WHATSOEVER.

I have learned how to deal with people of your mentality in the past. You are abusive by nature but when people stand up to your abuse, you quickly pretend that you are the victim. Sorry, buddy, it won't work here.

Your relating of the "story" does not irritate me. You are even entitled to have your own opinion, which by your own admission, was created by being very selective in your finding of evidence.

What I do find rude is that you have refused to acknowledge that people other than yourself MIGHT be right.

Brad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit