Lying to someone on their deathbed...

by mkr32208 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Leilani
    Leilani

I guess the answer depends upon the individual. Personally, I would say whatever needs to be said to help ease the worries the dying person might have. They're going through so much facing death anyway. I've seen some struggle to hang on until they thought their most worrisome issues were resolved. I believe peace of mind at the time is one of the greatest gift you can give someone who is dying. But that's me.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I wouldn't lie to someone on their deathbed. Nobody knows for sure what the afterlife holds, and I would not want to be a cause of disappointment for lying if in fact there was some type of consciesness after death. I wouldn't want to be lied to, especially on my death bed, as the people that I hope would be around me would be my closest friend(s), not people who lie, at such a crucial time...

On the other hand, if someone wanted a request wished on their deathbed, I may be inclined to say something to the effect, "I will seriously consider your request, but I cannot make any promises", then follow through, actually considering, that way I would still be able to have a clear conscience by the fact that I did consider their request.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Look at this way . . .If after the person dies, they become aware that the JW's were just a false cult and what they taught were a pack of lies, do you think that that person would actually WANT their grandkids raised in the BIG LIE???

I doubt it!!

NewLight2

• Leilani
    Leilani

"I wouldn't want to be lied to, especially on my death bed, as the people that I hope would be around me would be my closest friend(s), not people who lie, at such a crucial time..."

I still politely disagree, depending on the people involved and the issues. It's never that black and white. Life is not just black and white. I've seen truth destroy what tiny bit of relationship was still left between two people, one of them on their deathbed, with no time to resolve the problems that had been. The person that died "wanted and needed" to hear one thing, the other person couldn't "'honestly" tell the dying person what the dying person wanted to hear. The dying person died emotionally distraught over this and the surving person is weighted down with guilt after the fact, because, eventually the surving person would have been able to say what the dying person wanted to hear, but not at that time, and would now give anything to have said what was wanted to heard when desperately needed, even though it wouldn't have been truthful at that time. Life can be messy. People are complicated. Emotions and feelings are complicated. We, each and every one of us, are shades of gray.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit