I don't celebrate holidays, and other "reformed JW" things about me........

by WingCommander 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

By your own description, I believe you're what they refer to as 'Marked', or rather 'spiritually weak'.

Welcome!

DY

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

Ha, Dustin! I remember (and wore) the Flavor Saver, as did a few of the bolder young ones in my cong. It drove the elders nuts, but to my knowledge, nothing was ever said. As far as dressing up, it got to a point where I missed meetings simply because I didn't want to. Sometimes I'd wear a polo and wool slacks. It was uphill from there.

• Jez
    Jez

Each to his own..but..anyone that knows my story here knows how I have struggled with going back to meetings, getting reinstated just to have my family back. Bottom line is this. I know too much now to ever go back and be guilty by association.

I would never live a lie now and belong to a religion that would let ppl die rather than accept blood, shun loved family members, hide pedophiles, belong to a political entity but let members die rather than do so, etc. The hypocrisy sickens me now, with shunning particularly hurting me. It is true, you will get tripped up somehow, this religion will not allow you to be a 'reformed JW'. You are setting yourself up for hurt and sorrow in the long run. People like you will not be allowed to remain as they will quickly conclude that if they let you get away with it, who else might follow? Control of the masses must be maintained at all costs.

You say you KNOW and disagree with so much of the JW beliefs, yet you still want something from that kind of a religion. At least when I was IN, I was ignorant therefore somehow less guilty but now that I know what JW are really all about, I could not remain true to myself if I even gave the pretense of belonging.

I hope it works out for you, but if it doesn't we are always here to listen. Best wishes, Jez

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Yeah -what about blood transfusions?

Just curious.

CZAR

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Christmas and Easter make me sick, really. So much materialism,

So you hate Christmas because of it's materialism but.....

Screw that. I'm celebrating B-days now.

you like celibrating birthdays? Is it because during Christmas you have to give gifts but during birthdays you get receive gifts (generally speaking). And your comment about pagan celibrations? PLEEEEEASE. What celibration isn't pagan in some form or another?

As a "reformed" JW I don't think you've ever really celibrated Christmas. To me, it's what you make it. Growing up a JW I missed out on all of the Christmas parties my relatives had. It pisses me off all the memories I was robbed of. For the last few years I've been able to join them and have created some awesome memories. The same holds true with celibrating Christmas with my kids. Putting up decorations, buying some gifts for others, being a little more aware of how lucky we are and trying to share some of that lucky with a few other families. Sure, my kids loved the MP3 and portable DVD players but I find Christmas to be a great time to reflect on my life, where I've been and where I'm going.

But, hey, whatever works for you.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

There are lots of labels are in use in JW land. Inactive, weak. 75r, was the first one assigned to me. Fence sitter and on and on.

I refer to myself as a recovering JW, much as the alcholic is a recovering alcoholic.

If you want to get some confused looks from the jw's and others, refer to your self as A RECOVERING JEHOVAH'S WITNESS.

There are usually a lot of questions after I say that.

Outoftheorg

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    It is true, you will get tripped up somehow, this religion will not allow you to be a 'reformed JW'. You are setting yourself up for hurt and sorrow in the long run. People like you will not be allowed to remain as they will quickly conclude that if they let you get away with it, who else might follow? Control of the masses must be maintained at all costs.

wc, I think jez is right here.

I do applaude your willingness to do things in the way that seems right to you in serving God. But why a 'reformed witness'? All you will find out is that things like Gary went thru will happen to you too - as far as the 6' 2" stuff, I cannot see how 'returning intimidation for intimidation' could win anything at all. I have become an xjw due to having come to the conclusions that what the jw religion teaches is not harmonious with the Bible or common sense. I just think you may end up a rebel without a cause in this.

I have no interest in telling you how to live - but it seems you are trying to ride a fence that is really in Jehovah's witnesses yard to me! Nonentheless, success if you can make it work.

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• garybuss
    garybuss

I like Christmas and I may not even be a theist. I can have a secular Christmas and a secular everything and no problem. Everything doesn't have to be connected to religion and I could give a rat's ass about origins, they don't matter to me. Family, friends and fun matter to me.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I kind of felt like you do until my children starting celebrating Christmas and we didn't want to be left out. We love it now, and look forward to it every year.

If we had no children and grandchildren participating, we might not do it either..............but maybe we would. We don't go hog wild, buying gifts, and truly love the experience of giving a nice gift to a loved one or close friend. There is nothing that brings as much pleasure, in my mind, than seeing the delight on a child's face when you bought them something they love.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

WingCommander,

Your post made me worry about something, namely that being a "reformed JW"'s child might not be much easier than being a plain JW's child if this has to include separation from alleged "pagan" customs. Maybe you don't celebrate Christmas at home but allow your son to share in Christmas celebration in school? Whatever, I think the need for association is very important as children grow, and later your son might feel like joining either the "congregation" or the "world" against you for the sake of it. Needless heartbreak imho.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit