I don't celebrate holidays, and other "reformed JW" things about me........

by WingCommander 20 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Greetings all!

While I don't agree with the WT's views on shunning, blood transfusions, or how they conduct themselves, I can honestly say I wouldn't celebrate holidays even if I felt like it. Maybe it's that I've been brought up JW, I dunno. Halloween is sort of fun, but I know of it's pagan origins. Christmas and Easter make me sick, really. So much materialism, and "worldly" people oftem admit that to me. They will ask, "so, are you ready for Christmas?" My response,"Yeah, I'm good and ready for it to be over, I'm sick of Christmas music.." Their response, "Me too, it's gotten so bad this past decade or so, etc, etc, etc." Sometimes I feel like giving an "informal witness" to them, but I'm not alone I don't. I understand JW's beliefs on holidays, and agree with them. What really mystifies me is that they allow wedding and anniversary celebrations, but not b-days. Screw that. I'm celebrating B-days now. I consider myself a "reformed JW", that is, one who still holds the core beliefs to be true and the word to be good, but has remained unbaptized, vocal about ones own beliefs in the face of elders, etc, and one who is free from their mind control. I only read articles I feel like reading, go to meetings when I feel like it. I will raise my child as a new generation of "reformed JW", he will be allowed to play sports if he chooses, will take karate classes and work out with me at the gym. He'll have a B-day every year, as we are giving praise to Jah for us giving us such a blessing as a son. But not Christmas, Easter, etc. Any JW in my congregation who doesn't like it, seems to know better then to say anything to my face, and that's just fine. You see, I guess I'm sort of imposing.....my wife says so. I'm 6'-2" tall, 250lbs of muscle, have a deep voice, and I don't take $hit from anyone, and I think the elders and anyone else with a brain knows it. They have long since given up on trying their mind-control shit on me. Did I mention I have tattoos? Oh well, we aren't under Mosaic law anymore, I can eat shelled fish and have tattoos. I have a goat-tee, big deal, I look better with it. I buy my suits from Jones NY, DKNY, Brooks Brothers. Screw that JC Penny crap. The WT Org doesn't need anymore of my $$$, they have pleny of their own from their investments and real estate.

These are things I consider to be in the face of your "typical" JW, but there it is, for everyone to see. I hope Jah knows the person I am inside, that I love Him and His Son, and really only care what they think of me, and how I live my life, raise my son, treat my wife. In the end, He judges based on the heart set, not on how many time slips I've handed in in my lifetime.

Thanks,

Wing Commander :)

• avishai
    avishai

Hmmm. Whatever floats your boat.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Good for WC!

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

At least you know why youre doing it,I'm glad to hear your son wont have to go through any crazy b.s..Every adult is free to make thier own choices,but children shouldnt have to pay for them.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Dude: you are many things, based on the philosophy you express, but a JW you're not.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Loved the post. Since the Witness core beliefs are dis-beleifs I guess that is safe. I bet most of us here still believe in the dis-beliefs too. I do.

Me thinks you are not alone in not following very close the directions of the publishing corporation the Witness people represent. The publishing corporation very well knows this by the tone of the magazine articles and lectures at meetings and conventions.

I won't be very surprised when your kid grows up and embraces the hard line of the Witness people and starts to shun you unless you conform. I was a rebellious reformed Witness and a silent believing walkaway while my sons took it all in. Two of them grew up and shunned me. The elders had the last laugh on me. They are having the last laugh on lots of us now.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

WOW garybuss-thats very sad,youre children basically abandoned you,I hope thier happy living a brainwashed load of crap without the person that loves them the most.What a bad cult.

• melmac
    melmac

Hey, Gary. That's a sobering thought! If I were still a witness, the same could happen between me and my children... fortunately we're out of it!

• Golf
    Golf

WC. Being a JW never stopped from playing sports. In fact, I never got any flack. I've always stoodup for what I personally believed in, JW or not. It surprises me to learn how others have been treated within their respective congregations, denied and deprived of a 'natural'life.

Sports, traveling, my culture and being in the ironworkers trade has given me a different mind-set, I'm glad for it.

Plenty of my community members say the same about about hoildays, a nuisance.

Welcome aboard.

Guest77

• Dustin
    Dustin

I hear you on the holiday thing. I quit being a JW, but even still I just feel apathetic towards the holidays. I was laughing when you said you have a goatee, and some tats. I'm sure that's a great gossip topic for the pioneers when they're sitting around in the car. You seem like a pretty cool guy. I wish my wife and I could have gone to a congregation where somebody else could have taken the heat off of my badboy image. I always had a flavor saver, you know that little tuft of hair that grows right under your lip. I always wore the crappy JC Penny suits though. I had like two of em, I spent all the rest of my money on regular clothes. I always hated dressing up. I would always be counseled that I should donate more, and should dress better for the ministry. I just hated wearing a suit jacket. Take it easy, and stick to your guns. There needs to be more people who stand up for themselves around there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit