America Bashing

by TR 130 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

With all of the America bashing going on of late, I thought I'd mention the fact that America stands for freedom, as flawed as our system may be. You're even free to be critical of the government and it's leaders. The many men and women who have died defending this country did so to preserve the rights even of people who hate the U.S. There are many different cultures here, so there are many different attempts at creating laws for the land.

I'm saddened by people who bash the U.S. and it's people, like their own country is flawless. Seriously, what situation would most countries of this earth find themselves in without aid and defense coming from the U.S.? Allies of the U.S. should be damn glad they are allies.

The U.S. is a country of diverse land, climate, and culture. Just about any type of scenario for lifestyle can be had here. Anybody who has the will to succeed can do so here. Different states have different laws, so you can choose what best fits your individual preference for work, play, family life, etc.

I believe the U.S. is the greatest country on earth. This is the greatest country there ever was and ever will be!

Sing with me now! http://members.tripod.com/~AnnesPlace/Proud.html

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

...can I get an AMEN!!...

=)
    Reagan

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• open_mind
    open_mind

AMEN................

• riz
    riz

TR,

Those bashers are just Jealous.

riz

p.s. Amen!

• Seeker
    Seeker

TR, I agree with some of what you say about America. You are free to criticize the government (though that could get you under government surveillance), and you are free to anonymously criticize the company you work for (though they can get a court order to find your identity and fire you), and you are free to peacefully protest in the streets (though that can get you arrested and held without trial for several days), and you can freely elect a President (though sometimes the other guy takes over anyway), and you can freely read what you want (though if you do it over the Web you will be monitored, and if you buy a book with a credit card it may be checked by the FBI if you pick the "wrong" type of of book), and you can associate with whomever you wish (but if you pick the wrong type of friends, you will be watched), and you can tell your political representatives what you want (but they might listen to the corporations that pay them to do the opposite), and you can freely email your dad (but it may be checked by the NSA to make sure you aren't doing something naughty).

America stands for freedom. What its citizens have allowed to happen to their eroding rights all in the name of "safety" and "freedom" is criminal. The sad thing is that most people don't even realize that everything I said above is already happening. Americans are free today, but only if they go along with the party line. If they don't, they run the risk of running into various forms of harrassment listed above. The founding fathers would be appalled, in my opinion.

(I realize this is a volatile message, but note how I used the words "can" and "may" and "risk." I'm not saying this happens every time, just that it can happen any time, and it makes a mockery of the concept of freedom. America is not what it used to be.)

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

(quietly in the background as TR speaks)

O beautiful for spacious skies,
    for amber waves of grain,
    for purple mountain majesties
    above the fruited plain!
    America! America!
    God shed his grace on thee,
    and crown thy good with brotherhood
    from sea to shining sea.

O beautiful for heroes proved
    in liberating strife,
    who more than self their country loved,
    and mercy more than life!
    America! America!
    God mend thine every flaw,
    confirm thy soul in self-control,
    thy liberty in law.

O beautiful for patriot dream
    that sees beyond the years
    thine alabaster cities gleam,
    undimmed by human tears!
    America! America!
    God shed his grace on thee,
    and crown thy good with brotherhood
    from sea to shining sea.

• TR
    TR

Seeker, I agree.

This is what happens with when liberal people want the government to run their lives. That's why I'm proudly a conservative.

TR

• TR
    TR

Slayer,

(Sniff, sniff} I love you, man!

TR

• fodeja
    fodeja
    I believe the U.S. is the greatest country on earth. This is the greatest country there ever was and ever will be!

TR, I mean no offense, but I must admit there is one thing I still like about the JW religion: the refreshing, total absence of nationalistic pathos.

f.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Amen to Seeker!

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit