My Testimony

by snakeizz 29 Replies latest jw friends

• snakeizz
    snakeizz

Okay you guys here is my story.....it might be a lil' long winded, but please bear with me....it's interesting...

Well I have been away for 8 years...I stopped when I was 17 and I'm 25 now. It all started when I became a non baptized publisher at age 14. I was a very good speaker/reader. The elders were waiting for me to get baptized and encouraged me to do so. I knew in my heart that I wasn't ready because in the far corners of my mind, I knew my heart wasn't in "the truth". But I was brainwashed since birth that this was the only way. So because of the short supply of brothers in the congregation, they needed help in areas. I still wasn't baptized and they were constantly on my parents about it. They never forced me but they wanted it just as much as the elders did. But they knew how important the decision was. I thank them for it to this day. You think that stopped the brothers? Hell no!!!

Can you believe they bent the rules for me (of course yall can it's law to them) I was nominated to do things reserved for baptized brothers....in addition to being signed up for the theocratic school AGAINST MY WILL ( can u believe my parents signed us up?) they had me reading the lesson at bookstudy, and carrying the mics!!!! I was on the school for talks EVERY MONTH, sometimes 3 times a month....plus school and a job....then...these bastards told me my hair was not acceptable.....WHAT!!! People, I am African American. I have what we Black folks call "good hair"....it's really wavy and fine...anyway, they told me if I didn't change my hair cut and basically the texture of my hair, I couldn't participate in any of the activities/privledges....My parents who gave me this hair, were so embarrassed.....so i got a different haircut and switched hair products (the brothers didn't like the shine the pomade put on my hair)...but the texture of my hair stayed the same....go figure....I've never seen my father so disappointed in me. (but he didn't give a damn about any other aspect in my life) then they damn near banished me for growing my beard....okay if God made man in His image...(think logically) why would He create men with testosterone giving us the ability to grow hair on our faces and call it detestable? How is it wrong that He created me to do this? How could it possibly be unclean? If that's the case, I should shave off all my body hair....No one could answer this for me. At this time I was at a religious war with my parents. We had heated debates frequently. Nights were filled with them giving me the tried and true J-dubisms and all kinds of religious psycho babble that left me more and more frustrated and misunderstood.....

So when I turned 17, I've have had enough....soon I was doing anything and everything to ditch the meetings....I started working late, and becoming "sick" on meeting nights..even when I had talks...let some other dude do it...."Impromptu hell!!! (yeah i picked up a cursing habit...guess i'm part of the world huh?) I was livid with the way they were using me...every week every month I had a talk...it got so bad my mother was writing the talks for me....and my father who was an dad absentee even though he lived with us got all the credit for me being a great speaker.....My speaking ability is a gift from God...my father never taught me anything....he just happened to be my biggest critic....everytime i got good counsel, he would tell me about what I really needed to work on....(ususally something the brothers gave me "good" on) So that summer, I had a turning point....One day my good friend and I had a heated religious debate...we covered everything from Jehovah, to Jesus, to birthdays, holidays, college....I stood my ground, standing firm on the truth...but I believed what I was saying less and less...everything, every objection she had was ON POINT!!!...It was EVERYTHING I needed to hear.....God sent her to me to hear the real deal....and it was on from there....I went to my senior prom, hung out with my "worldy friends", lost my virginity, and went to college....but it wasn't until I was 19 that I started to change spritually....for the first time in my life, I started to re-evaluate my understanding and relationship with God...I started listening to Gospel music and going to church....a very different experience, but a healthy, eye opening spritual one....

I married my high school sweetheart last year and she has helped me through so much....my outlook and beliefs are sooo different...for the first time in my life I realized God in my life...If it were not for Him I would not be where I am now....when I was a JW....i really didn't know Him...it was just a routine that was recorded in my head...with no real emotion..especially when I was taught that He wouldn't be there for me if I wasn't one of them....what a bunch of BS!!!! It's so evident that He's with me....I didn't realize it until lately but, people always come to me for advice because I give them the truth..and it's according to what He said. They even ask me what church do I go to just by looking at me.......because of this calmness and peace that He's given me..I treat people the way I want to be treated...and I know that He is with me...and His word is in me....regardless of everything...sometimes I don't see how He can be with them (JW's)....but that's just His way...We all are His children......His love is unwavering, unmovable, unstoppable, and unconditional....I have lost all contact with my former JW "friends" who were supposed to be my "real friends".....some have been in jail some are even homosexual now.....but i have had the same friends and some new ones, for almost 10 years...who said wordly folks couldn't be faithful? I have the best friends in the world...they are like my family...i see them more than my actual family...who are predominately JDUB!!! (on both sides) but in conclusion....Leaving the orginization was the best thing I could ever do!!!

To those still caught up and confused, in the end you have to do you! Be true to who you really are...and if you go to God,stripped, truthfully and faithfully, He will guide your heart to the place it should go. May God bless all of you!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey snake!

I'm on the run so I didn't get a chance to read your whole message, but I just wanted to be the first to say welcome to the board! See you round!

SNG

• under74
    under74

Welcome to the forum Snake and thanks for sharing. I hope to see more posts from you soon.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Welcome aboard, Snakeizz

Hope that hair is under control now -lol

The journey out is different, and yet the same in many ways for all of us -

Welcome

Jeff

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Snake,

I'm glad you have found peace in your heart since leaving the JWs. I haven't found any answers about God that gives me any peace. All I see is God not being anywhere to help mankind. The recent disaster with the earthquake is an example. All I can see is either he is mad as hell at mandkind by creating all the desease for man, animals and foliage or he is away somewhere else.

Maybe some day I will hear from him in a way to explain why.

Ken P.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Welcome, Snakeizz! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Excellent point, btw, about facial hair a natural part of being male. I'm shocked they made you change your haircut!

Lonelysheep of the 'good hair class'

• little1
    little1

Welcome, Snakeiz!

I enjoyed reading your story. I'm glad you made it out! Your intelligence shines through everything you wrote, and I'm glad you'll be using it for good and not for ev-eil now!

Nancy

BTW - I started a thread on facial hair because I, too, couldn't see what could possibly be worng with it! Another avenue of control is all it is.

• Fleur
    Fleur
    so i got a different haircut and switched hair products (the brothers didn't like the shine the pomade put on my hair)...but the texture of my hair stayed the same....go figure....I've never seen my father so disappointed in me. (but he didn't give a damn about any other aspect in my life)

this pretty much sums up how screwed up the priorities of the average JW parent are...glad you got out and found happiness, Snake. I'm glad you found your way here.

Yeah, I never got the beard thing either. I always wondered too about the OT scripture (forget where it is, I've blocked most of the bible reading I did out of my mind now) about the sons and daughters wearing earrings.

Always did think guys look hot in an earring LOL :)

hugs,

essie

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Welcome Snake!

I remember having the beard talks too from my parents. I caved in. Then I grew one while I was away for a couple of weeks so it really filled in. Should have seen the look of shock on their faces.

Don't you remember the talks at the assemblies about having wavey hair?! It can really be rediculous, can't it!

I'm glad you've found spiritual peace and happiness!

Kwin

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

snakeizz,{and everyone for that matter}Isnt it difficult to describe what you went through in just a few paragraphs!!!! Some days the things I think of really startle me.I'm sure you could have written another 20 paragraphs about it.You story really reminded me of my own,thats why I say this.I get so pissed sometimes that i cant even get the words out.I was raised {oops-i mean brainwashed} in the religion as well.I'm 23 now but have struggled with this whole religion thing for about 7 years now.Ive seen my family gone to shambles,some still involved in the madness.Its so hard thinking about how they used me physically,emotionally,and phsycologically.I know it could have been worse,but why did it have to be like that---why couldn't my parents see what they were doing was wrong(not so much thuier belifs,but how they forced thier beliefs on me)I have so much resentment towards them,the organization,some of the local elders.They ruin childrens lives.I have been told by both my parents"well at least you werent molested"-because they had been.What kind of statement is that to make to your kid.I have since cleared up many of these issues with my parents,but I still dont think they'll ever understand what they did to our family.My older sister{25}is stuck in a crappy marriage she was forced into by herself,my parents and the religion-clearly brainwashed.My younger sister(18)from what I hear is very confused and cant bring herself to leave this crap,probly for fear of losing her "friends"...........Again,i tend to rant,sorry about that.........more to come i guess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit