Can you help please? Re: JW grandfathers funeral

by Lily888888 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Lily888888
    Lily888888

Thanks for your condolences.

It was exactly my Grandfather's loyal and meticulous nature that made him an ideal Jehovah's Witness. But, like I said, I wouldn't change that, if I could have him back. I can't be the only person here whose family is torn apart by this religion. But you've got to find a way around it... or it will be too late, like it is now for me.

The thing that really annoys me is how they treated him whe he was ill. Even though he was an Elder, he was virtually ignored (this may be just his congregation btw and not all JWs). No help. NO NOTHING. Despite about 50 yrs of loyal service.

I used to live in China and it is banned there to go round converting people.

At the risk of sounding fascist, I think they're on the right track. Seriously.

• Lily888888
    Lily888888

sorry about the double posting

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

I think you will find the funeral very peaceful. They will mention faithful years of service to Jehovah and mention how many years babtised and then they will talk about paradise conditions and a time when everyone can live pain and death free and how we wont have to experience things like this again. I think you will find it peaceful. Their wont be any loud screaming and crying unless its from a non Jehovahs Witness. When my Grandparents died we grandchildren read poetry and even said a few words. This is done at graveside though. Please dont show up with a chip on your shoulder it wont be as bad as many here have expressed. I am currently an active JW that is struggling with a few issues just to let you know where I am coming from. Most people on this board left the JW because they were wronged or felt wronged in some way so you may be getting biased advice. They will know immedietly your not a JW and they will all be very friendly to you. They are nice people and they will come across that way, Most witnesses care about you and caring means delivering the truth to you by converting you to a JW. They may say something like "wouldnt it be wonderful to be with your grandparents in the paradise right here on earth?"

Whether I stay a JW or not I do like the message that they preach. Dead conscience of nothing. Paradise on earth. No burning hellfire.

• blondie
    blondie

Here is the WTS funeral discourse outline:

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)
    Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God's purpdse regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die
    Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    Offspring inherited deat6 (Rom. 5:12)

Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurredion hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)
    "Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)
    Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Ads 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING
    Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE
    While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name
    (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness
    concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be
    presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to
    uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the
    bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close
    is fitting When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the
    hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and
    1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for
    the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

Printed in U.S.A.
    S-3 11/90

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/76056/1.ashx

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I am determined to have a seperate service for my Grandfather, maybe even just at our house or local Church of England Church. There will be almost no-one there becuase everyone they knew is in the Kingdom Hall.

Since you belong to a church, I suggest you talk with your pastor immediately about arranging a memorial service of some kind at the church. While there may be no one in attendance who knew the deceased, there will be folks who will come -- I presume -- to support you in your grief. If that cannot be arranged, have it at your home and invite your own family and close friends. Funerals are for the living, not the dead.

Best wishes and loving condolences to you and your family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit