WITNESS MENTALITY TOWARDS THE TSUNAMI DISASTER

by Mary 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I feel like screaming right about now...........the dickhead who takes our Bookstudy group just came over and said "...I wonder how many brothers and sisters died in the tsunami disater." While that's a natural concern, his next comment blew me away "....It figures that the media hasn't bothered mentioning Jehovah's Witnesses helping out in this disaster!" I looked at him stunned for a minute and said "and why on earth would they mention Jehovah's Witnesses? We don't even know if they've sent anyone over there yet?! And even if they had, why would they single out Witnesses when the UN, the Red Cross, UNICEF and a bunch of other charitable organizations are sending supplies and are on their way over there?!"

His answer was "....Well quite often the Witnesses are over there before any of the others and that's a good witness." I said "..You know, that kind of attitude is why Witnesses are viewed as a JOKE."

Isn't it wonderful to be concerned about "a good witness" and your Service Report when 60,000 + are dead in one of the worst disasters the world has ever seen? Is this really the general attitude of Witnesses or is this dickhead in the minority???

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

minority, haha...i think that is the general belief, that witnesses are first on the scene, like god warned them to get on a plane headed for the disaster right before it happens.

i hate those people that think they are part of something huge when there are more people watching a public access show right now then there are witnesses in the world.

• Neo
    Neo

"....It figures that the media hasn't bothered mentioning Jehovah's Witnesses helping out in this disaster!"

JWs usually think they are in the center of the universe. Characteristic of cult mentality.

"....Well quite often the Witnesses are over there before any of the others and that's a good witness."

There are vere few dubs around the affected area, so they won't be the first.

I said "..You know, that kind of attitude is why Witnesses are viewed as a JOKE."

You didn't say that out loud, did you?

Is this really the general attitude of Witnesses or is this dickhead in the minority???

Many think like him, but my bet is that those kinds are in a not-so-small minority.

It's a terrible tragedy. 60,000 and counting!

Neo

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

its really sad.. many jw's never personalize the victims of disasters. " they were gonna die in armageddon anyway' kind of thoughts.

that said , many jw's also have deep compassion for those afflicted and do what they quietly can to donate or assist. whats awful is they feel the need to keep what they do quiet so as not to be censured for donating money to anyone other than the wtbs.

• Mary
    Mary
    I said "..You know, that kind of attitude is why Witnesses are viewed as a JOKE."

I certainly did. I'm not known in the congregation for being meak and mild.

• Neo
    Neo
    whats awful is they feel the need to keep what they do quiet so as not to be censured for donating money to anyone other than the wtbs.

Your insight is very revealing. That is an "informal" coercion, not so easy to spot when you look from the outside. Thanks!

I certainly did. I'm not known in the congregation for being meak and mild.

Wow! How do you get away with it?

Neo

• Mary
    Mary

I know things about some prominent people in the congregation and de elders know that I know..........They don't want it coming out so I figure that's why they keep their distance and don't give me (too much) grief........it's nice to be able to hold stuff like this over their heads.

• FairMind
    FairMind

It seems that most JWs, especially those raised as JWs have no compassion for anyone ouside the organization. The first thing my wife (a lifer) said was "I wonder how many JWs died?" The unfairness of her comment stabbed me in the heart!

FM

• Neo
    Neo

I know things about some prominent people in the congregation and de elders know that I know..........They don't want it coming out so I figure that's why they keep their distance and don't give me (too much) grief........it's nice to be able to hold stuff like this over their heads.

Cool!!

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I was watching the news a little earlier this evening,They were showing the chinese,jews,japanese with loads of supplies to be sent to help.Then I wondered to myself how many self-righteous jw's would make comments about how they're always the first ones there.Yeah Right!!!

My sister is a single mother in a small town and none of them can shovel the snow in her driveway,but yeah,they're always the first to help,and yeah,it's always somewhere else,so you just have to believe it.OK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit