What is your experience as to buying Crisis of Conscience?

by Goldminer 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• PinTail
    PinTail

For heavens sake, just go to a book store and order it, and quit being so cult controled please.

Why in the devil must you be so scared, that in and of its self should tell you to get out when a simple religion has that kind of power over you that can't go to a store and eather read a book there or order it. Geez.

Shane

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I read CoC a year or so back. It was an eye-opener for me and I sure that the sort of things Ray describes still goes on in Brooklyn Bethel.

Aside from the actual factual content, one of the most powerful things for me was that Ray's approach was free from anger and bitterness.

Eyeslice

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

When hubby heard about Ray's books he thought he would go and check it out at the library.

He went to one across town and found it. Sat and started reading and low and behold an elder from our congregation comes up behind him.

You can imagine how he felt. Nearly filled his drawers.

Eventually he got a post box office and ordered the books. He made fancy covers for them and gave them technical titles and kept them at work in a locked area.

Now we have an apostate area in our house known only to him and me. We have family that would flip if they found out what we have.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

You know, it was funny for me, because by the time I decided to read Ray's book, I had already become convinced that the organization was false, and that indeed the Bible itself was false. But when I went to the Customer Service counter at Barnes & Noble, I almost expected the girl at the counter to gasp when I said the name of the book. It struck me as almost unbelievable that it didn't seem to ring a bell with her, that even the infamous name Ray Franz, which I had to spell out letter-by-nervous-letter, had no effect on her.

I read the book in two days. Up until that time, I thought the organization was sincere but misguided, loopy but harmless. The book was a real eye-opener.

SNG

• Neo
    Neo

First, I stepped down from being P.O. A month later resigned as an elder altogether and in February, 1999 turned in a 14 page letter of disassociation.

Welcome to the Forum, Stradman!

You have a message in your JWD mailbox.

Neo

• Neo
    Neo

I got my CoC in a "secular", non-Christian, bookstore. I just eventually found it there and bought it. I had to take some precautions, because I could not be seen with the book. The bookstore was in a mall (where I always find people I know...), but I went there at worktime in the morning, where there weren't many people, and it was no problem. I took it to workplace and read it there.

I understand why people have to be cautious about purchasing the book. If you're caught, your entire life can change in a couple of days.

Neo

• Neo
    Neo

I forgot to add: researcher, you can simply go to a bookstore and order it (you of course don't have to leave your phone # with them). Eventually we all need to take some small risk. CoC and ISoCF are not online, and I don't think they'll be in the near future. It's not that hard to hide a book, there are lots of good ideas in this thread. Or you can go to your some public library and read it there every once and while.

Happy New Year,

Neo

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I just ordered mine today!!

Online at www.commentarypress.com then I found them also at Amazon.com. Amazon.com was cheaper. I hope that the Franz's get the extra profit...

I will have them delivered to my office. (Mostly because we have a receiving department and I don't want anyone taking them off my doorstep.)

Can't wait.

-Aude. ~ soon to be of the 'informed' class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit