I didn't love God enough to stop smoking

by embeth2525 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Sherry is spot on.

A sister in my old congregation was d/fd just for smoking, which was nothing compared to what the so-called upstanding ones got up to.

Alcohol causes far more damage and heartache than cigarrettes.

FF

• missy04
    missy04
    Personally, I think smoking is a medical problem due to the fact that it is an addiction. And that it has nothing to do with how much you love God.

I totally agree with ya there. I smoke and am a Christian. (of course the JW's wouldn't think so)

Sarah

• missy04
    missy04
    Some might disagree with this, but I am convinced that the addiction to smoking is at least 99% physical. Researchers are more and more starting to agree that any addiction (including smoking), is directed by a part of our brain, just like walking, talking and anything else.

I COMPLETELY AGREE with that.

I can tell you that whenever I try to stop smoking, I am almost incapable of doing anything else that is directed by a part of my brain!!!

I get completely confused and can't think straight, my mind races and head spins so bad that I end up in tears.

I wasn't able to quit smoking back then, although I have since quit about 3 years now.
    Very happy for you! You must be a very strong and determined person. It's rough. ((HUGS)) and good for you!!
  • Country Girl
    Country Girl

I'm gonna tell ya like a Texan. If you WANNA smoke, well... you smoke. If ya do wanna smoke and feel guilty, well, you do that too. If ya DON'T wanna smoke, well you put that lil ole patch on yer arm, quit smokin and wish ya did. You'll only quit smoking when you WANT to quit smokin. And as long as you're a Texan, that may be a long time...

a

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Some won't believe me but our CO said it is okay to relapse into smoking if you are trying to quit. ANd to try not to let the relapse "stumble you" and that your continuous attempt to quit is what "jehovah remembers".

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

My mother died thinking Jehovah didn't love her because she smoked. She simply could not quit! The elders gave her two weeks to quit, or they were going to disfellowship her. Guess what happened. Yep, and then they said she loved cigarettes more than God. Well, she went quite insane after her disfellowshipping, and died a few years later thinking that Jehovah had abandoned her (it was the JW's that had abandoned her, but she didn't know the difference). Tragic. For me, I quit smoking once before, for a year. But, I got a divorce from my husband, and it made it very difficult to not have my comfort, my smokes. I still smoke, though I've since acquired asthma, but it is very difficult to quit.

• embeth2525
    embeth2525

You guys are all so nice!! thanks.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I started smoking again a little while ago...I don't smoke that much, between 2 and 7 cigarettes a day..depending on what is going on.

I have set a new date of Jan 2 for quitting...not the first because I will probably be weary from drinking the night before heehee. I don't think it will be as hard for me as it is for others, since I am not a heavy smoker. And I did it 13 or 14 years ago. Reformed smokers can be quite the pains in the ass...the last few months have made me a bit more sensitive to the smoker. I hope I was never bitchy to smokers. I don't let people smoke in my house, and never will...but I am nice about it.

I think God, if there is an active loving God, is more concerned about your overall well being and behaviour towards others than whether or not you smoke. Good luck to those trying to quit....I am with you on the 2nd of January!!! I hope none of us gain weight, heehee.

• LDH
    LDH

Hey there em,

I wouldn't worry about it.Consider the source.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit