Asia - PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

by Sirona 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

It is 69000 dead now!

Please donate if you can. Three have donated on that site so far but we need more!

Sirona

• City Fan
    City Fan

Does anyone know a website that has a list of survivors in Thailand?

The parents of our best friends are missing in Khao Lak, Phang Nga province.

Thanks.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

City Fan - I hope your friend's parents turn up unharmed. I would imagine that communications are very difficult at the moment.

Here is the Foreign Office website information - no lists of names, but some helpline numbers:

NATURAL DISASTERS

Tidal waves/Earthquake - 26 December 2004:
    Like a number of other countries in the region, Thailand was hit by a series of tidal waves on 26th December, following a major earthquake in the Indian Ocean. The picture is not yet fully clear, but several hundred people are confirmed to have been killed, and several thousands injured in resorts and towns along Thailand's west coast, in particular Phuket, Krabi and Pangna. A number of islands have also been hit.

If you are intending to visit any of the areas of Thailand affected, you should check carefully with your travel and/or accommodation agents to make sure that it is safe and tenable to proceed. You should be aware that there is excessive damage to buildings and other infrastructure in the areas concerned and the emergency services are fully stretched.

The FCO emergency telephone number is 0207 008 0000. British nationals in Thailand caught up in the tragedy should also contact the British Embassy in Bangkok which is open on an emergency 24 hour basis. The telephone number in Thailand is 02 305 8333. A team of officers from the British Embassy and the Honorary Consul have opened an emergency office in Phuket which will aim to provide immediate practical advice for British nationals in Phuket and other adjoining areas. Its numbers are 076 264 473/4/5 and 076 264 484. In Thailand the Ministry for Foreign Affairs have set up an emergency hotline for foreign nationals affected by the tidal waves. The numbers are (66) 02 643 5262 and 02 643 5000/5002/5003. There is also an emergency fax line (66) 02 643 5256. The numbers will be manned by English speakers and are available both for callers within Thailand and relatives/friends overseas.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Thanks for those numbers, I'll pass them on.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Perhaps some of the money we give won't reach its destination, but if we don't sometimes take risks , no one would ever give and no one would ever be helped. Apathy in the face of relievable suffering is selfish and evil.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Hi there,

Here in Canada the Red Cross is still the best way to donate money and I have donated through them.

Your efforts are to be commended. This tragedy is too great!!!!!!!

I wonder what watchtower is doing about it?

Wanna

• Fleur
    Fleur

Here are some links for US charities you can donate to:

American Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org/

OR Donate by Phone

Call
    1-800-HELP-NOW
    (1-800-435-7669)
    English speaking

Call
    1-800-257-7575
    Spanish Speaking

Call
    1-800-220-4095
    For TDD Operator

This CNN webpage has listings for many international charities from CARE to Doctors Without Borders and then some:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/27/quake.aidsites/index.html

Emergency hotline numbers (this info came from CNN.com

CNN) -- If you are looking for information on relatives or friends in the areas affected by the tsunami, here are some disaster hotlines from around the region:

To contact representatives from India, call +91 11 2309 3054

To reach Thailand, call their emergency hotline at +66 2643 5262 and 2643 5000

For information about local residents in Sri Lanka, call +94 11 536 1938, for tourists the number is +94 11 243 7061

In the Maldives, the government hotline is +44 20 7224 2149

For more information on travelers in the Seychelles, call +248 321 676

Hong Kong residents who are stranded or require help should call the Immigration Department hotline on (852) 2829 3010

The United States has set up a toll-free number to call for information about American citizens in the region: 1-888-407-4747.

original link; http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/helpline.numbers/

I will add more links and info as I find it. Please do what you can.

~essie

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks everyone for the extra information.

We're nearing 80,000 dead now.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

bttt

• justhuman
    justhuman

I will send it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit