Asia - PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

by Sirona 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Due to the Earthquake tragedy

I've set up a website here

http://www.justgiving.com/asia

Which facilitates donations to the British Red Cross. It also gives links to about 7 other organisations who are seeking Aid. The "Gift Aid" part means that UK taxpayers can donate with the benefit of their donation not being taxed.

Please please forward the link to everyone you know.

Thanks

Sirona

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I don't know about you guys in the UK but downunder the Red Cross is viewed with great scepticism after it was shown that funds were not passed on to where it was intended.

• Sirona
    Sirona

On that site there are links to other organisations you can donate to. Something is better than nothing.

Sirona

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

How will it get to where we intend?

• Sirona
    Sirona

The organisations listed have information on their websites about how the money is used. We see on the news the Aid agencies are actually there already and are sending out more as we speak.

I'm not asking for a massive donation, just a few pounds or dollars that perhaps people wouldn't miss.

We can all be skeptical, but if everyone thought that the Aid agencies listed were not using the money then noone would donate ever - and after all they are run by donations and they are doing the work and providing the food and aid. Whilst it is annoying that we can't know for sure (I mean 100%) whether they're using the money responsibly, I for one would prefer to give something, even if only 50% of it reaches the individuals who need it.

Sirona

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Coming up on the news here tonight:

Australians dig deep to help survivors
    19:49 AEDT Tue Dec 28 2004

Aid agencies have been inundated with donations from Australians eager to help ease the pain for the millions whose lives have been decimated by the tsunami that pummeled southern Asia.

The fallout from the disaster is horrifying. Thousands of people remain unaccounted for and some officials fear the eventual toll could be as high as 55,000.

Currently, more than 26,000 people are estimated to have been killed.

Millions have been left homeless.

As the enormity of the devastation becomes apparent the aid agencies are stepping up their efforts to provide water, shelter, food and medical assistance.

Aid has been flowing in, the Australian government promising $10 million, the Victorian government pledging $1.5 million to aid agencies, and the National Australia Bank contributing $100,000 as part of a wider fund set up at its branches.

But it is the generosity of Australians which has overwhelmed the aid agencies CARE Australia, the Red Cross, World Vision Australia and Oxfam.

A Red Cross Australia spokesman said $1 million had been donated by Australians since its help line started on Monday.

"That's an absolutely amazing response from the Australian public and it shows again that Australians dig deep when people are in need," the spokesman said on Tuesday.

Internationally, the Red Cross hopes to raise around $A8.5 million with the money to be directed into emergency aid for hundreds of thousands of survivors.

The main priorities will be ensuring survivors have adequate shelter, access to healthcare, drinkable water and are free from the spread of diseases such as water borne infections, upper respiratory infections and malaria.

World Vision Australia said traffic on its website was up by more than 50 per cent since the disaster.

"We have received over 8,000 phone calls," a spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

No figure on what has so far been donated had been compiled, she said.

Oxfam Community Aid Abroad said it had received about $150,000 in donations, with one individual donating $10,000.

©AAP 2004

• azaria
    azaria

Sirona: The Canadian Red Cross has already rec'd about $2 & 1/2 million in donations. I have already donated and plan to call tomorrow if I can help locally at the Red Cross. Like you, I can't sit back and do nothing.

• one
    one

Edited because I'm not having "One" spouting total drivel on my thread. One is clearly trolling.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    at the KH you at least knew where every cent went, and i never found any particular 'individual' taking direct advantage, not even receiving a salary..

hmm, don't mean to change the thread subject, but on the basis of your statement - tell me how much money the Watchtower society made last year then?

• Simon
    Simon
    at the KH you at least knew where every cent went, and i never found any particular 'individual' taking direct advantage, not even receiving a salary..

They only ever helped their own followers though (unless there was some good PR to be had by helping the odd neighbour ... a bible study was usually a pre-requisite though).

Typically, the do not get the point of the bible parable of the good Samaritan - that everyone is your neighbour.

Thanks for posting the link Sirona, it's a very good idea and I hope it will do a lot of good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit