Why do some people post things that they did not write ... ????

by Wild_Thing 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Who do some people post things that they did not write and do not give credit to the original source? So ... maybe you don't know who the original source is. Maybe you got it in an email that has forwarded and then forwarded a zillion times. But why post it as if it were your own words??

It really irks me! It this were a class, you would be accused of plagiarism and receive an F!

A word to the wise everyone ... next time someone posts something that is seemingly enlightening or brilliant, copy a string of it and Google it! Sorry to say, you will probably be disappointed.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Example? I ask because you may be assuming that the "original" source you found on the Internet was not written by the same person who "plagiarized" their own thoughts later.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Wild_Thing ...Yep it is irritating

• jgnat
    jgnat

I figure most times it is simple misunderstanding. Those quoting don't know how to separate out the author's from their own. I have only seen a couple of delibrate plagarizers on this site.

Google my words. They are all original. Though I have been accused of plagarism in real life....the reader could not believe I could be that articulate.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

good ol' Google

as a writer, i heartily agree with you. true writers respect the craft and other writers' works, and all posted work, no matter how trivial it may appear, should be credited accordingly.

p.s. sometimes when the writer is obvious, i.e. william shakespeare or paul simon, you don't need to bother...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well, in that person's defense, I think some people just figure that "everyone knows me, they know I didn't write this...." And in most cases they are right about that. I agree though, it is irritating.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Forgive me if this is an ignorant view; but isn't plagerism (sp) only related to those wanting to profit in some way from the copywrited words of others? I agree that it is iriitating when it is obviously not original thoughts - but is it as serious as that on a forum? Don't get me wrong - I think credit should be given where deserved - but is this a 'mountains out or molehill' argument?

Just My opinion

Jeff

Incense_and_Peppermints
    Google my words. They are all original.

i just wonder who's got time for such an undertaking...

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

with the s&*t that I post, you know it's gotta be original.

laters

kaykay_mp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit