Getting to Know You

by Prisca 12 Replies latest social relationships

• Prisca
    Prisca

This is a continuation of the "Singles" thread I started. I may have been a bit vague about how to describe ourselves, and Introspection suggested a questionaire-type thing, so below are some questions to get us started.

Freel free to say how much or how little you want. This is just a way to introduce ourselves and perhaps provoke more discussion!!

* How old are you and where do you live?

* Have you ever been married and do you have any children?

* What do you like best about being single?

* What do you dislike the most about being single?

* Do you like dating or would you rather have a root canal?

* Do you like to read? Watch movies? Participate in any sports?

* What is your favorite book, movie, song?

* What is your favorite quote?

Ok, I'll go first!

How old are you and where do you live?

I am 31 years old and I live in Sydney Australia.

Have you ever been married and do you have any children?

I was briefly engaged, but I have never been married. No children either.

What do you like best about being single?

Being able to do what you want, when you want. Only being answerable to yourself. I'm not unhappily married to someone I don't like! I also have lots of time to learn and discover facets of life I want to learn about. I can do overtime at work without feeling guilty about being not at home looking after someone. I could go on but I'll leave some room for the rest of you....

What do you dislike the most about being single?

Not having the emotional and physical contact with another person. Not having someone to share my life with. And nosey relatives who inquire, "and have you found anyone yet?" (I hate that question) [8>]

Do you like dating or would you rather have a root canal?

To be honest I would rather date, but only because I haven't had a root canal, so I don't know the difference.

Do you like to read? Watch movies? Participate in any sports?

I love reading, yet I have plenty of unread books lying around, because I simply don't have the time to read!
    I love going to the movies, but don't always catch the new releases in time.
    Sports? I've never been a sportsperson, but I like to watch the tennis, or sometimes cricket, or swimming when the Aussies are competing!

What is your favorite book, movie, song?

The Bible.... oops, sorry thought I was on WOL here! Actually I enjoy reading autobiographies, and travel books the most.
    Favourite movie? Too many to chose, but I prefer to watch comedies with a slight romantic twist.
    Favourite song? "I Love You Just the Way You Are" is a sentimental favourite of mine.

What is your favorite quote?

"Always look on the bright side of life" (Monty Python's Life of Brian) Why? Because that's my motto for living life!

• Introspection
    Introspection

29, life in the San Francisco Bay Area of sunny California

Nope and nope

I guess it's the freedom, though I don't really know what to compare it with having been single all my life!

Being alone, not having an emotionally intimate relationship

Dating I guess, but don't get me started on the whole dating institution.. There's just something a little unnatural about it, then again so is root canal I suppose.. I'm of the "friends first" school of thought.

Yes, I'm reading more non-fiction these days (transpersonal psych and spirituality type stuff) though I've been know to read some fiction. I do like movies but I find I'm pickier now than when I was younger. I've never been real big on sports, I guess the closest thing is Tai Chi.. (hey, it's not all old guys in the park moving slowly) I do enjoy being outdoors tho.

I think it really depends on the subject/genre.. But one interesting book I read recently is Integral Psychology by Ken Wilber, I expect Transformations of Consciousness to be as if not more interesting though.. As far as movies go one that comes to mind is Contact, though I also like dramas too - thought Awakenings was good. Picking a favorite song is probably the hardest, but I've been enjoying Michael Hedges' music for a while now..

There are more serious ones like the signature at the bottom of the message, but I always liked this quote from the movie Caddy Shack: "A flute, with no hole, is not a flute. A donut, without a hole, is a danish."

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• Introspection
    Introspection

Now Dave, we're not doing a local needs talk on encouraging field service here, no need to get carried away..

Logical, listen buddy I think I know how you feel, I'm actually kind of shy in person, but when it's online what can a post hurt? I do know one thing, if you don't take the first step nothing will happen. Come on we know you're reading this, you're like the keeper of this place..

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Prisca,

I smile as I type this! Whodathought this would be a personals board??? ;) But I'll be brave and put up some info on me:

:How old are you and where do you live?

29 - soon to be 30 and living in beautiful Dallas!

:Have you ever been married and do you have any children:

Divorced for 3 years and no kids. Currently dating a wonderful Christian guy that I met at my church...does that mean I can't give this info???

:What do you like best about being single?

Not having to check in with anybody. Being able to live for the moment!

:What do you dis-like most about being single?

Occasionally being lonely. The fear of growing old alone.

:Do you like dating or would you rather have a root canal?

When I was 'dating' (the looking stage) I actually liked it. I wasn't allowed to do it as a JW, so the excitement of it all was pretty thrilling. I'm very outgoing and love meeting new people.

:Do you like to read? Watch movies? Participate in any sports?

All of the above. I love reading, even though I have little time for it! I'm currently reading Ray Franz's "Crisis of Conscience" Great read!!! Movies I like are Shawshank Redemption, Raising Arizona, Slingblade. I have a quirky sense of humor and love "thinking" movies. As for sports, I was never allowed to play sports as a JW kid, so I love learning it now. I really wanted to be a cheerleader as a youngster, but wasn't allowed. Volleyball and softball are my two current faves. My friends laugh at me and think I act like a big kid. Which I think I can be - I was never allowed to be a kid during my childhood! :( Yes, it's sad, but I'm making up for it now!

I'm looking forward to meeting more people on this board. More for friendships than anything since I'm dating a guy right now. I don't have any friends that share my religious JW history and would like to have some. I think it'll be weird to have that in common with someone, but I look forward to it!

I hope I answered all of this right!

Billygoat

• mommy
    mommy

Dave,
    I am officially taking back my cookie! I can't believe you deleted your post!
    wendy

Keep it up guys haha sorry to intrude

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• seven006
    seven006

Mommy, I had a good reason for deleting my post,
    it might be a bit of a lame reason but it was a reason just the same.

You're too late on the cookie thing, I already ate it.
    BTW I hope those little squishy brown things in the cookie were raisins,
    I think a few of them had little legs.

Thanks again for the cookie.

Dave

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

41, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, USA

Married once. Great while it lasted. I left the JWs. She wanted to stay. So we said goodbye and moved on. No kids. Great nephews and a niece though and they love their Uncle Jer.

The pure freedom of being able to do what you want, when you want.
    I have a jillion different interests and it's great to indulge my hobbies at the drop of a hat with no one to nag ya!!!

The best experiences in life are those shared with the person you love the most. When you're single, you don't have that.

Depends on the date or the dentist. :D

All of the above. I love to read, but usually can only do it a few minutes after getting into bed. Movies? I'm a movie addict. My favorite thing to do is have friends over, cook a gourmet meal with good drinks, and then watch a good film. Sports? Mainly the gym, but I'm buying a sailboat this weekend because I've always wanted to learn to do that.

Favorite books: Visions of Glory (best book by an ex-JW in my opinion), Using Your Brain for a Change.

Favorite movie? Too hard. Shawshank Redemption, Cast Away, Point Break, The Last Temptation of Christ, True Romance, Lonesome Dove, Caddyshack.

Favorite song? Too hard again. Everything But the Girl, Sade, just about any jazz, ambient, Van Halen... even country, as long as we're dancing to it. Listening a lot these days to compilations I've burned onto cd myself of European club music and film music compilations.

"Hope is a good thing... maybe the best of things."
    Andy's letter to Red in the Shawshank Redemption

"If it's worth feeling bad about, it's worthy of amnesia."
    Richard Bandler, radical NLP therapist

• Prisca
    Prisca

HI guys,

This is just to thank everyone who bared a little of their soul on this thread. I was meaning to continue with Parts 2, 3 and maybe more, but I have been flat-out with work lately. But THANK YOU to everyone who contributed!

• logical
    logical

22 and I live in England

No

NOTHING

EVERYTHING

What's dating?

Reading is good. Movies are ok. Not into sports.

Books... Star Wars books, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy books
    Movie... Star Wars trilogy
    Song... Too many to mention

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

This is great!!! Love reading about all of you. Where was this thread when I was single?
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit