My Deleted Elder Friend Stopped By.......

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Elders I have known who are told about such a situation where a person is getting the short end of the stick are told to consider David and how it was unfair when Saul was trying to kill him and he had to flee to Philistia. David waited until God "adjusted" Saul rather than taking matters into his own hands and fighting against God's "anointed."

w00 6/15 pp. 13-14 Honor the Ones Given Authority Over You/Respect Despite Imperfection

There are many examples in the Bible of those who honored individuals in authority, even when these misused or abused their authority. David was one such fine example. King Saul, under whom he served, became jealous of David?s achievements and sought to kill him. (1 Samuel 18:8-12; 19:9-11; 23:26) Still, though having opportunities to kill Saul, David said: "It is unthinkable, on my part, from Jehovah?s standpoint, to thrust my hand out against the anointed of Jehovah!" (1 Samuel 24:3-6; 26:7-13) David knew that Saul was in the wrong, but he left it up to Jehovah to judge him. (1 Samuel 24:12, 15; 26:22-24) He did not speak abusively of or to Saul.

Was David distressed while he was being mistreated? "There are . . . tyrants that do seek my soul," David cried out to Jehovah. (Psalm 54:3) He poured out his heart to Jehovah: "Deliver me from my enemies, O my God . . . Strong ones make an attack upon me, for no revolt on my part, nor any sin on my part, O Jehovah. Though there is no error, they run and get themselves ready. Do rouse yourself at my calling and see." (Psalm 59:1-4) Have you ever felt the same way?that you had done no wrong to a person in authority, yet he kept giving you a hard time? David did not fail to show respect to Saul. Upon Saul?s death, instead of exulting in joy, David composed a dirge: "Saul and Jonathan, the lovable ones and the pleasant ones during their life . . . Swifter than the eagles they were, mightier than the lions they were. You daughters of Israel, weep over Saul." (2 Samuel 1:23, 24) What a fine example of genuine respect for the anointed of Jehovah, even though David had been wronged by Saul!

w99 8/15 pp. 8-9 Keep Anger From Stumbling You ***

Contrast such dispositions with that of David, who had reason to be angry over the treatment he experienced from Saul. David restrained his spirit. Why? He said: "It is unthinkable, on my part, from Jehovah?s standpoint, that I should do this thing to my lord, the anointed of Jehovah." David had clearly in mind his relationship with Jehovah, and it affected his dealings with Saul. He humbly left matters in Jehovah?s hands.?1 Samuel 24:6, 15.

• redskymedic
    redskymedic

Maybe it will bring him to his senses and he'll realize that this is no 'Truth'. I do feel for him, though, genuinely an unfair situation in which to be placed.

• redskymedic
    redskymedic

Maybe it will bring him to his senses and he'll realize that this is no 'Truth'. I do feel for him, though, genuinely an unfair situation in which to be placed.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The one positive -- and it's a big one -- to come out of your friend's experience is that it wil get him to open his eyes to the reality of his situation.

He may not realize it now, but perhaps in time he'll come to consider this the biggest favor God's ``loving organization" has done him! (``What? You mean I can't ever again leave hearth and home on non-meeting nights to go to those interminable elders' meetings, get to make up car groups and get stuck with last-minute parts on the meetings because of no-shows, or to scramble around and pretty up the congregation records in advance of the CO' s visit, etc., etc.? Aw, shucks!")

• minimus
    minimus

I am hopeful that longtime elders and JWs in general can wake up to the bullshit they have recieved as "spiritual food at the proper time".

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I know someone this happened to about 5 or 6 years ago. An elder/po was deleted for attending a wedding of an in law who was (is?) a witness and married a non witness. Funny thing was though, he had attended a wedding of a jw who married a nonjw who was more closely connected by marriage only 1- 2 years prior to this and nothing happened. So, he thought it was okay. On top of that elders in 2 or 3 different congregations in different circuits had different things to say on the matter. So, the co?s for the respecting cong.s got involved and I am almost positive that more elders were deleted. Secret societies are sure scary, aren?t they?

• minimus
    minimus

BLACK SWAN----WELCOME!!!!!!........It's a "secret society" when the elders don't even know the "secret".

• Will Power
    Will Power

If the elders are appointed by holy spirit - is that how they are also deleted?

just curious

will

• Balsam
    Balsam

Minimus,

I did not know of this. Goodness when I was a JW we went often to unbeliever's weddings. People we worked with or family members. So not they are not disfellowshipped but if they hold privledges they will be removed. Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Funny that information would be given to Circuit Overseers but not to Congregational Elders. Looks like they would need to know this stuff.

Those jack...... called the GB never fails to surprise me.

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit