Did Jesus ever use this phrase?

by cellomould 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cellomould
    cellomould

Did Jesus ever use the phrase 'undeserved kindness'?

I don't remember such a phrase ever being attributed to Jesus.

What do you think about that?

I think we all deserve kindness!

• vitty
    vitty

From what I have gathered its another WT translation of the much nicer word "grace"

eg if you were to give your child a gift and then said it was "underserved" how do you think hed FEEL!!

but if you said it was given by grace, it sound loving from the giver and to the recipient

I cant imagine Jesus saying I am the way of everlasting life, (but by the way you dont deserve it)

Just my thoughts

I can find it listed in the gospels!!!!!!!!

• Golf
    Golf

I highly doubt it, but then again, I could be wrong. About us derserving kindness, of course we do.

Guest77

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The NWT usually translates the Greek word kharis (traditionally "grace") by "undeserved kindness". This word appears in the Gospels only in Luke (1:30; 2:40,52; 4:22; 6:32ff; 17:9) and John's Prologue (1:14ff). It is put on Jesus' lips only in Luke 6:32ff, in a particular expression:

If you love those who love you, what credit (kharis) is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

The related verb eukharisteô ("give thanks") appears in Matthew 15:36; 26:27; Mark 8:6; 14:23; Luke 17:16; 18:11; 22:17,19; John 6:11,23; 11:41.

• gumby
    gumby

Church, saints, Lord, deacon, bishop, pastor, and GRACE, are all words christendom uses. The worthless piece of crap Joseph Rutherford didn't like phrases that sounded like christendom and so he decided to seperate himself and used different words. Grace was one of them.

Gumby.....btw cellmound...where have you been stranger?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

It's also a slick way for them to get out of having to say that Jesus ransom covers the "great crowd"... you didnt' deserve it anyway right?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Kindness and deserving are two separate concepts Kindness is gracing Deserve is about payment "Undeserved kindness" highlights the atrocity of the wtbts spirits It would seem that they also don't understand what "those who buy and sell" is about

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I have to agree with A Paduan here;

Kindness and deserving are two separate concepts

I think that by using the word undeserved, the Society continually emphasises the negative, i.e. we are all pityful sinners, undeserving of God's grace and favour.

Grace on the other hand is what God offers to all mankind with no strings attached, God's grace is not conscious of man's sin. Therefore, grace is a much better expression.

Interestingly, John 1:16 reads

On his fullness we all of us have drawn, and from him we have received grace upon grace

Eyeslice

• upside/down
    upside/down

Now this puzzles me, I don't feel overly pious(sp) but undeserved kindness? How does that phrase fit in with logic...(or love)

My point being that we absolutely DESERVE kindness. We did not choose (or even have the choice) to be born imperfect. Adam and Satan who were perfect took it away from us. We live in world in which wicked man-made governments hold sway. There are apparently untold hordes of unseen demons lurking about sabotaging everything, with very few limits or restricitons put on them. Add to this either wicked or seriously messed up fellow humans (having the same plight as us). We have a significantly reduced life span and poor health for most of that. Add economic adversity to most of humanity who barely subsist. An don't forget a "Babel" of religions and cultures built around them designed to subjugate and keep people ignorant and subserviant.

Yet despite all of these obstacles humanity keeps plugging along, with people having kids and trying to love them! I wouldn't treat an animal the way humanity has been dealt with- yet here we are by divine decree. Love would dictate that this HAS TO END!!! Now I know some people get off on feeling that they are lower than dirt, but God made us the crown of His physical creation- US, with no apologies.

We DESERVE better than what we were given, and a loving, intelligent creator know this. If He doesn't do something He is not what He claims! And He's got some serious apologies to make... I think I'm wrong tough- time will tell.

u/d

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i never thought of it but yeah jw's dont use the word grace..

the song amazing grace would sound funny as a jw.. " amazing undeserved kindness' just doesnt do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit