Anyone practice yoga?

by seawolf 16 Replies latest social physical

• seawolf
    seawolf

I've been looking into starting yoga. I hear it's good for relieving stress and things like that. I'm curious as to the results others have had while practicing yoga. Any tips for getting started??

I wonder how this would be looked on at the kingdom hall? The site I was reading said something to the effect of that "yoga is spiritual but not religious." I'd imagine that doing yoga and it being found out at the hall would get me hit over the head with a large-print NWT bible.

• PinTail
    PinTail

Years ago when I was in my teens and twentys I used practice a form of Yoga, it seemed so real to me that I was able to float above the floor. I know this sounds crazy but there is something to this meditaion. It took practice, but I acheved a form of transending myself.

Indulge me for a momet: At that time while sleeping sometimes my mind would go into a type of state, and it felt like I could travel a vast distance in a moment of time. I became frightened because I could not control it all the time, in a way that was safe while sleeping.

One time that remains in memory is when I was sleeping out side on the lawn of my house cause it was hot inside, I had my tarp down in a particular manor faceing West and I fell asleep and awakened to my ears poping like when your going over a mountain pass. I raised up and seen clouds and and a passinger jet at eye level, needless to say it scared the hell out of me; so I hid in my sleeping bag and fell asleep again. In the morning the tarp was many feet away from where it was before, so I won't mess that form of meditatiion again. (Belive it or not)

Shane

Shane

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I have gone back to taking yoga classes. For relieving stress, I find that it is fantastic. Afterwards I feel like I've had a body massage. My body feels like it's literally humming on all cylinders after a class. There is no religious element in yoga unless you want there to be. I highly recommend it as a workout.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

I do yoga to help in preventing sports related injuries due to running and biking long distance.....there are different levels and purposes of yoga so if you are looking for it to be a spiritual/religeous experience there is yoga for that as well.

Start with a good beginners yoga tape by Rodney Yee, atleast it can show you some of the fundamentals of yoga to get you started and to see if you like it.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Yes! And I love it. Although I cannot attest to PinTail's flights of fancy, yoga is an excellent no-impact way to exercise. It literally wrings the tension out of you and focuses attention on your breath, a fine way to relax/meditate.

I recommend to take lessons from a reputable instructor because correct positioning is critical. After you develop a routine it is possible to practice on your own.

WTS has come down against yoga as a improper form of meditation, gateway to the demons. etc. By the way, the breathing excercise mentioned below is unheard of by anyone I ask. The norm is for regular deep breathing, not holding your breath. Typical fear mongering.

*** w02 8/1 p. 22 Yoga?Just an Exercise or Something More? ***

Not a Choice for Christians

Whatever health instructors may say to the contrary, yoga does not stop with physical exercises. The book Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies relates the experiences of two yoga novitiates who were under the guidance of a guru. One is quoted as saying: "I made superhuman efforts to hold my breath as long as possible, and only breathed when I was on the point of fainting. . . . One day, at high noon, I thought I saw a bright moon, which seemed to move and sway from side to side. Another time I imagined myself enveloped in thick darkness at midday. My director . . . was greatly pleased when I mentioned these visions to him. . . . The time was not far distant, he assured me, when I should experience much more surprising results from my penance." The second man relates: "He obliged me to stare at the sky every day without blinking my eyes or changing my position. . . . Sometimes I thought I saw sparks of fire in the air; at others I seemed to see fiery globes and other meteors. My teacher was much pleased with the success of my efforts."

The strange sights were evidently (nice false conclusion WTS!) what the gurus felt were proper results along the way to the true aim of yogic exercises. Yes, the ultimate goal of yoga is moksha, explained as the merging with some impersonal great spirit. It is described as "the (intentional) stopping of the spontaneous activity of the mind stuff." This is clearly contrary to the goal set out for Christians, who are given the admonition: "Present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."?Romans 12:1, 2.

The choice of what physical exercise to pursue is a personal one. Christians, however, would not allow anything?be it bodily training, eating, drinking, clothing, entertainment, or something else?to mar their relationship with Jehovah God. (1 Corinthians 10:31) For those exercising simply for the sake of their health, there are many avenues available that do not involve exposure to the dangers of spiritism and occultism. By keeping clear of practices and beliefs that are rooted in false religion, we may look forward to God?s blessing of a righteous new system of things in which we can enjoy perfect health in body and mind for an eternity.?2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:3, 4.

• gumby
    gumby

Don't do it....I'm tellin ya man! Last time I did yoga I had 15 demons took over my body. I was foamin at the mouth and my eyes were buggin out and voices I'd never heard of came shootin outta my mouth (kinda sounded like Alex Haley)

The only reason the boys at Brooklyn are against Yoga is because they can't get down on the floor to practice it without the aid of another. Last time D. Sydlic tried it he got his fat head caught between his leggs and couldn't get loosed.....poor bastard.

Gumby

• outnfree
    outnfree

I've taken a few fitness yoga classes at my local gym (which I enjoyed), but have not gone to a meditative type yoga class yet. I say yet, because my psychologist suggested it would be helpful to me for stress release and for taking the time to be present in the moment. Are those goals you are seeking to obtain?

outnfree

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    By the way, the breathing excercise mentioned below is unheard of by anyone I ask.

I'd concur with this. The teacher always makes it a point to remind us not to hold our breath. You hold the pose or position and you breathe through it.

• gumby
    gumby

MegaDude....what's that got ta do with D.Sydlic?

Gumby

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Dan Sydlic got his head caught between his legs because he was practicing an ancient form of Oral Yoga and he forgot to breathe through it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit