The "C" Word (no, not that one)

by wasasister 19 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Dear Friends:

I found out on Friday evening, my brother-in-law has cancer. We don't know much at this point, but the prognosis is not good.

The tumors started in his lungs and traveled to his brain where several lesions formed. Yesterday (Monday) a neurosurgeon removed the largest, about the size of a plum. (Why do doctors frequently refer to growths in your body in terms of fruit?) The removed tumor was causing inflammation and symptoms and now the mass can be tested by a pathologist.

My sister and her husband have no children. They are quite literally everything to each other. He served as an elder for many years and left because he ran afoul of the "alpha elder" in his congregation. He was one of those good elders you hear about. He sincerely tried to do his best, given the restrictions of the JW mentality.

The man in the bed next to my sister's husband was a born-again Christian and might as well have been a JW. Everything - no kidding everything - he said and did was in connection with "The Lord". He and his family attempted to pray with and over us. While appreciative of their sincerity and respectful of their committment, it was difficult to deal with. The man was suffering from terminal bone cancer and was in excrutiating pain. Still, he felt the presence of his Lord. I wondered why The Lord did not bother to answer his prayers and take away his agony. At one point the man, hidden by a dividing curtain between the two beds, said: "Maybe The Lord is telling you it's time to slow down so that you can get to know Him."

I must have snapped, because I said, "If The Lord wanted my brother-in-law's attention, isn't there a less painful way he could have use to get it?" I know he is sincere, and because of my background, I am trying to be tolerant, but if I'd had to listen to "praise his Name" one more time, I might have started chanting Satan Hymns.

I'm exhausted and so is my sister. She is trying so hard to be strong for her husband but when she goes home she just shatters. In her weaker moments, she remembers what it was like to have such a sure understanding of what happens after death and how confident she used to be about Jehovah's involvement in all things. However...the reality is this: the man in the next bed did not get relief from Jesus. He only got relief from his suffering when the nurse got the go-ahead for an extra dose of meds from the doctor. My brother-in-law has a better support structure among his new "worldly" friends than he ever got from the JW's.

If any of you have knowledge of non-small cell carcinoma of the lungs, I could use your input. The cancer has matastisized and spread to his brain. With all due respect, I am not interested in faith-healing, prayer cures, or miracle wheat. This guy never smoked a day in his life, was a serious athlete, and is barely 45 years old.

Thanks doesn't begin to cover it,

Wasa

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((wasa))))))

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

No knowledge of the carcinoma ... just a guy who knows what it's like to lose a brother. I wish you both the best.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Oh my. That must be rough.

S

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I am a cancer surviver myself but I have no insight on that form of cancer.

I am deeply saddened reading your post. I wish I knew what to say.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'm so sorry , i know how hard this has to be on your family and i understand your feelings about the man in the next bed.

i hope your brother has successful treatments to slow the cancer down. you have the internet , research research research! i hope you can find some helpful information.

i know you'll get some knowlegeable responses from the friends here.. good luck to your brother and my thoughts are with you and your family.

hugs

candy

• gdt
    gdt

Please accept my deepest thoughts, life is not fair is it? How about (if your brother can do so) asking him to have a prayer with and for you two girls? He may well find that a very nice request etc. Again, sincerest of thoughts, I wish I had knowledge of some practical solution other than faith. geoff. gdt

• bem
    bem

(((((Wasa))))) Sorry no help from me, But I lost two brothers to cancer. both had different forms. So the pain your feeling is a very familiar feeling to me. I'm thinking of you. and hope for the best for you all.

Dorothy

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

One thing keeps screaming in my head.

The man in the bed next to your brother-in-law. It's really unfair of him to impose his therapy on you and your family at a time like this. There has to be a way to tactfully but firmly get him to keep his religious (and other - !) views to himself.

My core support group was extremely protective of my boundaries and were fearless in speaking up when I was not able to.

To bring quality to what life I had, I determined to live in the moment. Things got too complicated when I looked too far back (anger/confusion) or too far ahead (fear/anger) so I determined to stay in the moment. I got pretty good at it and for the most part I determined how I wanted my 'moments' to be. My core support group (about 3 people) knew what I wanted, too. Usually I could create my 'moments' by moving to a different room or ending a phone call, changing a subject, or telling someone that I really was not up to hearing their story. If I could not find the right words, with just a glance, my caregivers were quick to speak on my behalf.

I think I would scream and waste alot of energy if I had to listen to someone preach at me things that I did not want to hear. Especially when dealing with something as serious as a cancer diagnosis.

Find a way to get them privacy and sunshine (figurative sunshine, perhaps). Make as many pleasant moments as you can. Deal with the crappy stuff when you have to but shift to the nicer moments whenever possible.

• Panda
    Panda

That "other" patient is rude. But he won't stop until your brother inlaw tells him to stop. He's doing what he thinks is best BUT He needs to respect his current roommate.

WASA, I do feel for you and your family. A dear friend had breast cancer last year. This year she's doing fine. The cancer is in remission and her hair has grown back. SHe's still a bit anemic. Her children are happy that their mom made it through (3 little girls 2,8, 12) as are all their aquaintences. It is so wonderful to see the survival rate of cancer sufferers. I guess our generation will be the last to know people who died from cancer. So we are the ones who will remember the sad and painful deaths before successful cancer treatment. I hope that your BIL will get well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit