What does the elder manual say the procedure is?

by mkr32208 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quotes
    Quotes

Just wanted to add: if you want a copy of the Elder's Manual, why don't you pick up a copy:

For more information: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/pay_attention.htm

For you very own copy: http://watchtower.greatnow.com/. CLICK ON "Download PDF scan".

Enjoy all that warm fuzzy Watchtower Elder goodness!!!! ;)

~Quotes, of the "Don't look at me, I didn't put it out there" class

• FairMind
    FairMind

Someone please help me with this. I seem to recall that the WTS has stated that according to scripture, Christians are to obey they laws of Caesar as long as they do not go contrary to God’s commands (this is the point I want to be corrected on if my memory is incorrect).

If my memory of the above WTS statement were correct, then not reporting a crime (such as child abuse) would be a sin. This would also mean that the WTS is again talking out of both sides of its’ mouth.

FM

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I know that in the UK, the instructions are to contact the branch office first by telephone. It is important to remember that the society is very touchy about anything in writing. You phone them and they will tell you verbally what to do. They hate any written records - could lead to legal cases, etc., etc.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Big tex -

I think that several BOE letters are on silentlambs too. Perhaps the very one you remember is there also.

Jeff

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I know that when the overseer vists the congregations, he has special night meetings

with elders and MS's. As part of these I can attest that more instructions are given in

these than meets the general publics eyes!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    Fairmind: (this is the point I want to be corrected on if my memory is incorrect)

Spot on, Squire!

• gumby
    gumby
    Here is a direct quote from a Feb 15, 2002 letter to all Bodies of Elders (page 4):

( If you are asked, make it clear that whether to report the matter to the authorities or not is a personal decision for each individual to make and that there are no congregation sanctions for either decision. That is, no elder will criticize anyone who reports such and allegation to the authorities.
    ==================================

And that my friends is bold face lying at it's best! "Personal Decision" doesn't exist within the confines of this cult and everyone knows it. No elder will criticize anyone who reports my ass! Go ask the hundreds who have been DFed for taking that very action if these words are true or not. The funny thing is.... most elders read this stuff and never question the outright lies. Gumby

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Oldsoul,

Were you ever instructed to destroy records or letters? I have a difficult time picturing you complying with that one.

No, but I know of others who seemed to be so motivated. If we could pin that down as coming directly from the WT we would not only have obstruction of justice but might even be able to make a case with the RICO Act. Fairmind,

I seem to recall that the WTS has stated that according to scripture, Christians are to obey they laws of Caesar as long as they do not go contrary to God?s commands (this is the point I want to be corrected on if my memory is incorrect).

The WT has made a fair effort to obey the law regarding child molestation, at least compared to the Catholic Church. But these laws vary from state to state. The do not go a step beyond what is required by law, and as in my case seem to occasionally forget to inform local elders what the state law requires. In Mass they even defended their right in court regarding the Berry girls to NOT report the abuse to authorities. WT reps sat next to a convicted molester in court (imprisoned likely for the rest of his life) while defending their right to withhold the info from the authorities that would have prevented the second Berry child from also suffering molestation. Gumby

And that my friends is bold face lying at it's best! "Personal Decision" doesn't exist within the confines of this cult and everyone knows it. No elder will criticize anyone who reports my ass! Go ask the hundreds who have been DFed for taking that very action if these words are true or not.

Gumby, I suspect you have good reason to feel this way, as I myself felt that way some years ago. But consider two points that might apply now. 1 That WT letter was from Feb 2002, well after the fit hit the sand with Dateline investigators requesting responses to what they planned to air in 2001 but put off until May of 2002. The WT knew they were in trouble and this letter to the body of elders, if not a reaction to, was very much affected by their own cognizance of what was coming down. I suspect they were desparately modifying their policy and it has since become the WT standard. 2 You are not alone in feeling "No elder will criticize anyone who reports my ass!" . But there were many real people who happened to be 'elders' who were doing all they could to do the right thing. Most of them are STILL in the WT. The atmosphere among elder bodies has changed somewhat since the public exposure. Presently, this is a hot issue and the mistakes made in the past by the average elder body may still occur but it would surely be rare. Jst2laws

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    If we could pin that down as coming directly from the WT we would not only have obstruction of justice but might even be able to make a case with the RICO Act.

Steve,

This was discussed on the "Sunday" program and the background of evidence given there that the society DID give such an instruction.

BTW if you read some recent posts of mine, I mention that a supreme court judge's comments about the WTS' perversion (not just obstruction) of justice in Australia.

Cheers, Ozzie.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Ozzie,

Are you saying the "Sunday" program exposed the WT's GB to violation of US law? Little could be done here with the RICO act if it was a Aussie branch office decision. Can you fill me in?

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit