Evil come evil go.

by Peppermint 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

What was the silliest thing taken away from you as a child because of its supposed evil influence?

I remember when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my mum gave me a copy of the 1812 overture. I remember it as a real cool gift at the time.

A few days later she sat me down and explained to me that she was going to take the record back because?have you guessed it yet ?because it has WAR cannons on it.

I was mortified at this, so much so that it?s a memory that has always stuck with me.

I guess she had a meeting in between times along the lines of ?beware of your music collection?

Anyone else had similar?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My father tried to make me chuck my Micheal Jackson Triller album. He said that it could bring demons into the house. I refused (amazing what backbone I had at times) saying I would never bring anything into the house that could harm our family.

I still have the album and I have yet to see a demon.

Mrs Jones

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

My daughter was telling me just the other day how much she had been traumatized as a kid by her mother making her throw out her Smurf drum set, which had been a gift from her favorite uncle. Personally, I wasn't worried about the Smurfs at the time, but was just as happy not to have a drum set around...

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

library books.

Back when I was 18,19 I worked next to the local libray, so I'd go check out books and read them at work and hide them in my car. My mom found them and threatened to burn them all. But then I told her that they were government library property, so she did return them, but threatned me and told me I could never check out those devil inspired books again.

At the time I was suicidal and depressed and I had checked out Dr.Wayne Dyer's self help books. She thought they were horrible. Wayne Dyer was the Dr.Phil of the 70's and 80's and has nothing satanic at all in any of his books. I loved his stuff.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I had to get rid of my En Vogue CD because my father said they were dressed like 1920's prostitutes on the cover. Funny though, that my father could keep an album that had a completely nude woman on the cover. I had to get rid of my Enya CDs (yes, I like Enya) because my mother heard a rumour that she was a "witch." More crazy stuff like that.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Wayne Dyer was the Dr.Phil of the 70's and 80's and has nothing satanic at all in any of his books. I loved his stuff.

Dr Dyer has just published a new book I think it's call "The Power of Intention".

I had heard of him but never read his stuff. He has a special on PBS about his new book (4 hours long) which I watch and thought it all made sense. My local library has the book and I plan to put it on hold and check it out.

Mrs Jones

• embeth2525
    embeth2525

When I was 17, my father made me throw away my Kiss albums, they were too "satanic".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Re. JustTickledPink & Dr W Dyer

Funnily enough we got a lot of stick in my last congo because my wife was using his book to help a depressed sister. I showed the other elders this WT quote, which shut them up .

g88 9/22 p. 15 How Can I Get Over Being Embarrassed? ***
    To enjoy life and good relations with others, some risk is involved. As Dr. Wayne W. Dyer wrote in Pulling Your Own Strings: "You will never know what it feels like to get rid of a fear until you risk behavior that confronts it." So get right back on the ice after a fall!

Mind you, that did not stop the C/O denouncing the book from the Assembly platform , saying it was the "teaching of demons ".....Happy days!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I was told to get rid of my music....Like Marilyn Manson, Kiss etc.....I never did though!

My parents said one thing but forgot about it the next day because they were too involved with their own problems. Mother would drink and pass out in her room. Dad would do the same but pull me into the living room telling me his life sucks and he wished he didn't marry our mother and have us.(nice huh) Then pass out down in the basement. I never really had parents telling me right and wrong. They would but then forget about it and go back to them. I raised myself.

With my kids I will let them do whatever they want to a point just give them a chance to explain why they like what they like.

Brooke WI

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Once I was having a slumber party and my dad, Mr. Perfect Elder, made us turn off the Care Bears Movie, because there was some evil guy in it and they said it was demonic.

Evil, aren't they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit