A few more random thoughts on the new Kingdom Hall design meeting

by sir82 20 Replies latest jw friends

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder
    The reason for the front door style, the literature trolleys, is just a BS smokescreen; it is a commercial design, not a church design. How dumb are witnesses if they believe this crap? - pistoff

Thank You. My sentiments exactly.

TE

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

From JW Daughter:

"I don't think they are benefitting the folks inside-or harming them particularly. JWs will put up with the greenhouse(!)."

Except by lying to them about the purpose of the building, why they look like the local branch bank, and threatening the complainers.

• sir82
    sir82

Oh, here's another odd thing:

They mentioned in one of the dozen or so PowerPoint / video clips that right up to the last second, some brothers on the [whatever committee was in charge of making the decision] were still convinced that a "residential style" of Kingdom Hall was the way to go. Then they offered a prayer. Then the chairman of the committee asked "who wants the residential style", and not one hand went up. He then asked "who wants the commercial style" and all the hands went up.

There was a few minutes (in the video) of blathering on about "how evident it was that this was Jehovah's will" and yargle bargle blah blah blah.

But there are dozens of us on this board who have served for years on BOEs and/or Bethel. Come on, guys, did that ring true to you?

Here is my suspicion: Something, or a lot of things, were said or insinuated prior to, or even during, the prayer that made it evident that the "powers that be" demanded a commercial style, and that there would be some sort of consequences if their wish was not granted.

I mean really - the "holy spirit" appoints dozens if not hundreds of child molesters as elders, but it gave clear direction for determining building design? I'd roll my eyes but I'm afraid the action would be too violent and I'd tear a muscle.

• hoser
    hoser

Sir82

They mentioned in one of the dozen or so PowerPoint / video clips that right up to the last second, some brothers on the [whatever committee was in charge of making the decision] were still convinced that a "residential style" of Kingdom Hall was the way to go. Then they offered a prayer. Then the chairman of the committee asked "who wants the residential style", and not one hand went up. He then asked "who wants the commercial style" and all the hands went up.

This is 100% bullshit. This meeting may not have ever happened.   This is an appeal to authority to quell dissent. If any elder questions this arrangement he is questioning Holy Spirit. 

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    perhaps by using the jw. / org  symbol/sign  the buildings will automatically pass into  corporate wt ownership...is there any small print anywhere that might hint at this?.....
  • TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Yeah, the higher ups went in ready to convince the other members of the committee to "vote" commercial. It was made plain what was expected and then a prayer was made for show (assuming the story isn't completely fabricated.)  

The chairman would have continued the debate until the others conceded regardless. It's always "look at what Jehovah did" after the fact.

-TE

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The magical stories just keep on coming.

The holy spirit inspired building designs!

The mind boggles.

• sir82
    sir82

This is an appeal to authority to quell dissent. If any elder questions this arrangement he is questioning Holy Spirit.

That is a very good point that I had not considered.

It reminds me of something I read long ago, a small step in the process of removing my blind faith in the Bible.

It was an explanation of the "Solomon willing to split the baby in two because 2 women were disputing over it" story.

The Bible account mentions how, upon hearing this story, the Israelites were filled with great fear.

Why "great fear"? It's just an account of the king's wisdom, right?

Nope. It is a political warning. Some Israelites were contemplating revolt & civil war. Solomon had this story circulated to indicate that he was quite willing to, in effect, kill everyone (cut the baby in 2) in order to maintain his grip on power. This story put them on warning that dissent would not be tolerated.

This "holy spirit led us to pick the commercial style" seems to be in exactly the same vein. As the poster stated, any elder who even mildly opposes this will be seen as "working against the holy spirit" and, at the very least, have his "privileges" removed.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

PIstoff, JWs are complicit all the time with their own financial victimhood. Anyone with a brain could see where all this is going and they have accepted it all along and always will-even when the halls are sold off and they are meeting in basements or wharehouses. Of all the things that are wrong with the org. that DO hurt them, this is the least of it (that they will ever percieve as being a harm). They will acccept all this and will be annoyed at worst. Their children won't die. 

Yes, it is a big affront, a huge scam and yet, they accept it all the time with the funny business regarding convention donations and everything else. Those who really question it leave, cause they have to or they have to shut up and accept it. There is no middle ground, there are no questions allowed (as we know from the talk that was all about not questioning or doubting them-ever.)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Is this the look they're going for?

Or something more like this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit