Would YOU Have Not Taken Blood When You Were a JW???

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I was in the Org. I followed everything they told me. I believed that God was watching and I would have died rather than accept blood. I think that the vast majority of JW's would also have done the same.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I don't know. I remember thinking about this a a JW and doubting myself, not being sure if my "faith" would be strong enough to endure that "test".

• Gill
    Gill

Hey, Minimus! Didn't realise you could see my hairy legs down the internet. Better go and shave them!

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

I refused blood at the birth of my first son! It was hell. The doctor didn't like JW's so he pretty much told my parents to start praying for me. That I was going to die. The elders came down, did their thing. I was rushed to a different hospital where they took really good care of me. I was pressured by everybody to take blood. I had to write out my will. Ask my sister and her husband if they would adopt, take care of my son while I was in labour. That was something else. My worldly friends were there because believe it or not I was out of the ORG. at the time but was so programmed that I still wouldn't take the blood. My sister and my mom were totally ready to watch me die. I can't believe it to this day. I was at coma level. My platelets were so low. I told my Dad, It's ok Daddy I'm ready to Die. I was barely 20 years old. My dad starting bawling his eyes out and begged me to take blood. I said NO Dad. I can't. But here I am today. Feisty as ever and telling my story like many others. If my kids were dying, would I give them blood now. Probably, yes. It would depend on the circumstances, but I'm not going to sit back and watch my babies fade to nothing, death. I'm going to fight with everything I have for their life. I respect all of you who didn't take blood because it is a really hard test! HUGS RHCP XOXO

• minimus
    minimus

It's amazing to realize that we would not only give up our own lives but also the lives of those we dearly loved because we/they believed God wanted it this way!

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

I had an emergency c-section with my daughter (now 14yrs old)....I lost a lot of blood, of course they respected my wished not to have blood, but it was very scary. They used that saline method to bring my blood count back up, but it took longer for me to heal after that ordeal.

Now, of course if my children needed blood I would not refuse, and I've already donated blood to the Red Cross...so my views have definetly changed.

My mother called the other day and stated that she and my father were putting their wills together and before they proceeded they needed a verbal statement from me that should anything happen to my sister (still a JW) and I had to make a decision in their behalf would I honor that they would not want blood, etc., I said of course. If that's what they want I have no problem with that....if they were young helpless children, I would not honor that request at all.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I would have refused it initially, however once reality set in I don't know how strong my conviction would have been.

Kwin

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I was strongly against the whole blood issue! My brother who was at the age of 15 had a tumor growing inside his head and that was back in 93' and he did not take any blood....he could have died many times through out the whole surgery! I am so thankful he didn't.

Now my son even though it is a minor surgery of a Hernia and he is just over a year old will be having surgery on Jan 17 2005 and when we were signing papers we put down if there is a need for blood give it to him. I know it is a minor surgery (and most likely will not need it) but I think it is a major step with us and choosing the right to live our own lives.

Brooke WI

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I felt the same as Euph,

I don't know. I remember thinking about this a a JW and doubting myself, not being sure if my "faith" would be strong enough to endure that "test".

When my daughter was little, my wife and I talked about this and even though she was raised in the "truth", she was stubborn enough to "probably" tell them to chuck it for the obligatory "one year" of shunning for the two of us because we felt that if our precious baby needed blood to live, then we "probably" would have consented.

HappyDad

• minimus
    minimus

I wish more Witnesses could see how UNscriptural the Watchtower belief is!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit