Best Of British Sports Cars.

by Englishman 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I've had a few!

An MGB, an MG Midget, 3 Sunbeam Alpines and an Austin Healey Frog-eye.

'Course, some years back, the wicked Americans put out a rumour that soft-tops were to be outlawed in the USA. Which meant that the UK sports car industry would take a massive body-blow to it's exports. So, in true kamikaze style, the Brits sports cars companies started producing absolute garbage with fixed tops so's they could continue with their exports..

Cars like the Jaguar XJS. Yuk!

Or the Triumph TR 7. Bleah!

It seems though that the sports car industry is now reviving somewhat. I'm rather taken with the TVR range: http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/intro.html

Any that you used to like? Or would like to own now?

Englishman.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi EMan, I've not had the pleasure of meeting you but your quite a popular favorite on the board and I usually get quite a kick out of your post.

Glad see your well enough to get back on board.

Though not a fancier of the classics, mind you except the 60's XKE's, as it it is that I am an unfortunate American, I do fancy that TVR Griffith 500 thats a star in your country, but I can only drive here in the states on the Playstation 2, Gran Turismo 3 driving simulator. If you have yet to experience the thrill of this game, as it is you recover from surgery, it can be a wonderful means of passing time.

I am first and formost a car nut earliest of age to remember.

Good to see above board.

I Wish U Well !

• Quotes
    Quotes

Well, I used to own a rag-top Triumph TR-7, but since you already "bleahed" it... :(

~Quotes, of the "Pining for Teen-Days with the TR-7 but without Watchtower this time around" class

• undercover
    undercover

I saw a cool British car at a car show a couple of years ago...I don't remember the manufacturer(I remember Tiger but I'm not sure if that's right), but it was a British sports car with an American V-8 engine. Maybe one of you Englishters can enlighten us on that particular car.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Eman,

Right you are about the XJS and the TR-7. I've owned my share of great Brit cars...like a '61 Austin Healey 3000, a Sunbeam Alpine (undercover:that was a Sunbeam Tiger) all of us Alpine owners wished for a Tiger but my Alpine was a fantastic little car. Also a Bug-Eye Sprite...that's what we call 'em over here. A few years ago I had the pleasure of interviewing and riding around with John Sprinzel...the guy who cooked up the Frog/Bug-Eye..a nice guy who is well over 6-feet. I am currently looking for a Jensen Interceptor..(not the Jensen Healey) with a Chrysler V-8. The styling is either love-hate. I prefer the convertible but probably can only afford the hardtop. Then there are the Aston Martins but we don't have all day and I would start drooling...

-BONEZZ

• The Thinker
    The Thinker

I was rather taken with the Butt thats on the calender of the TVR range.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, yeah! The Sunbeam Tiger was a basic Alpine that had been fitted with the Rover 3.5 litre V8 engine as I recall. They did the same thing with the MGB and called it the MGC.

Englishman.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I had a '59 MG-A, British racing green, black leather upholstery. I loved that car.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Yes, well, my current ride is a VW Polo 1.2. Three-cylinder engine. Sounds like a diesel on start-up and then progress to a sewing machine.

Not very sporty or very British at all. At all. It has, in an unexpectedly ironic twist of Germanic humour, cruise control.

Drove a Bentley R once. Not a sports car. More a rather fast living room. Very British though.

TVR's? Pant Drool.

My ex-wife drove a TR3 into a skip once.

I was driven alone twisty Italian lanes in a Jaguar X-type once - open topped. I was seven. It was fun.

Other than envy for people who've had nice cars. that's about it!

;-)

• Valis
    Valis

This is Abaddon's current mode of transportation..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit