God's existance

by startingover 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• startingover
    startingover

I found this on an athiest discussion board.

Why Jehovah does not prove his existence... Because those who actually had the proof we atheists want no longer wanted him as God. Satan and his rebel cohorts knew God on a first hand basis and decided they were better off without Him. God showed himself repeatedly to Jews and they turned away to worship other gods. When God actually turned up in person as Christ he had to deal with humans rejecting him again. For the last two thousand years Jehovah no longer appeared before human beings. The result is fanatically devout Christians. We can conclude that when you come to know Jehovah/God personally you get so disgusted/disillusioned that you reject him. God sucks at interpersonal relationships. So it is a smart PR move to not appear anymore and try to give actual evidence for His existence

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

That person makes a good point..

.. by the way, do you have a link?

• startingover
    startingover

Here's the link:

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/index.php

I got that quote under "Existance of God" on the second page on a post entitled "Why Jehovahs doesn't prove his existance"

When I read on that forum, it many times gets so deep I can't comprehend what's being said. Here it seems we all have the JW frame of reference which I can relate to.

I found this quote on that site. It has now become my favorite.

The Bible says: "The fool says, There is no god" I say: "If a fool can figure it out, why can't you?"
  • Double Edge
    Double Edge
    The Bible says: "The fool says, There is no god" I say: "If a fool can figure it out, why can't you?"

But then again, scientists tell us that you can't "prove" a negative. In other words, you can't prove that God doesn't exist.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

God is an atheist

should we be the image of God or not

God has no faith....

same question.

• brother devoted
    brother devoted

since something exists now, it must follow logically that something has existed forever most scientists have agreed with the conclusion the univers had a beginning since something exists now, it must follow logically that something has existed forever and that something caused this universe (Law of causality) Sproul ?Logic requires that if something exists contingently, it must have a cause. That is merely to say, if it is an effect it must have an antecedent cause? (1994, p. 172) whether you wish to say it is some man in the sky I don't know, but lets break it down to it;s bear essentials God from the hebrew word EL means powerful one power is was needed to produce all that exists and is needed to sustain it. and since all that exists especially that which is evidenced on this earth works on a symbiotic relationship, a unified whole we can see how that power is unified or becomes "one" linguistically and logically therefore "powerfule one" is an appropriate description for that cause. Peace

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

zen nudist:

But then again, scientists tell us that you can't "prove" a negative. In other words, you can't prove that God doesn't exist.

The same of course is true for Santa Claus, unicorns, gremlins, the bogeyman, Vishnu, etc.

brother devoted:

Be careful with the run-on sentences. It makes your post much harder to understand. But I'll have a go anyway.

since something exists now, it must follow logically that something has existed forever

That doesn't follow logically at all. That's just an assertion.

most scientists have agreed with the conclusion the univers had a beginning since something exists now, it must follow logically that something has existed forever and that something caused this universe (Law of causality)

You'r now using your initial assertion that something always existed as proof that something existed before the universe. You're also claiming that a law only known to operate within our universe also operates outside it without any proof.

Sproul ?Logic requires that if something exists contingently, it must have a cause. That is merely to say, if it is an effect it must have an antecedent cause? (1994, p. 172)

You have yet to prove that the universe is an effect. If it is not an effect, then it doesn't necessarily have a cause.

whether you wish to say it is some man in the sky I don't know,

Why would you? Even if one accepts your assertions that the universe is caused by something which has always existed, why would anyone conclude that it's a man in the sky. Whatever the chances of something existing outside the universe, the chances of it being anything like us must be astronomically smal

but lets break it down to it;s bear essentials God from the hebrew word EL means powerful one

I don't understand how this is related to what has gone before. Who cares what the Hebrews called their god(s)? What does that have to do with anything?

power is was needed to produce all that exists and is needed to sustain it.

I'm not sure what you mean by power. Do you mean what physicists call energy? Or something else? Either way, it seems like another unfounded assertion.

and since all that exists especially that which is evidenced on this earth works on a symbiotic relationship,

Nonsense. Do asteroids have a symbiotic relationship with planets? What about stars and black holes?

a unified whole we can see how that power is unified or becomes "one" linguistically and logically therefore "powerfule one" is an appropriate description for that cause.

You keep using the word "logically." Do you have any idea what it means?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:
    You're feisty today

Scientific method surely states a theory and then sets about attempting to destroy it?
    With regard to the "theory of god" science has currently been unable to destroy it, hence it IS a viable scientific altenative to atheism (along with unicorns, etc., if you really wish to propose them).

Given that BD starts with a premise, it would only be fair to run a string of "logical" consequences to that.
    His mistake is that he breaks from that and then develops a theological one. I think we can likely see how his mind has proceeded on this, though.

Sadly I start travelling to Seattle, today, so I'm unlikely to be able to contribute much more to this thread. Did I say sadly??? Nawww - Whoopieeeeeeeeee!!!
    LOL

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Derek:You're feisty today

I've had my Weetabix

With regard to the "theory of god" science has currently been unable to destroy it, hence it IS a viable scientific altenative to atheism (along with unicorns, etc., if you really wish to propose them).

Not quite. To be scientific, a theory needs to be falsifiable in principle. If you can come up with a test that (given a certain outcome) could disprove the existence of God, then you've got yourself a theory. If the god is defined in a narrow enough way, this is possible. For example, the existence of an omnipotent, omnibenevolent god could perhaps be disproven by the existence of evil and mindless tragedy. But it can be argued that this god has reasons we don't understand for allowing evil, so that the existence of evil is not a valid test. That's not falsifiable, and therefore not scientific.

Given that BD starts with a premise, it would only be fair to run a string of "logical" consequences to that.

Yes, he starts with a premise (something exists now) but then immediately leaps to a conclusion (something has always existed). That conclusion may or may not be true but it is logically invalid. He then uses that invalid conclusion as a premise and leaps to another invalid conclusion (the universe was caused). Then, out of nowhere, he conjures up God, but the whole argument was specious from the start.

Sadly I start travelling to Seattle, today, so I'm unlikely to be able to contribute much more to this thread. Did I say sadly??? Nawww - Whoopieeeeeeeeee!!!
    LOL

Bastard. Have a great time.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:

Not quite. To be scientific, a theory needs to be falsifiable in principle.

Surely if we take the stance that science will likely eventually explain everything away, then "in principle" the "theory of god" stands up?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit