Mentally-ill girl who was sold for sex faces death penalty in Iran

by Elsewhere 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=592910

Mentally-ill girl who was sold for sex faces death penalty in Iran By Angus McDowall in Tehran

14 December 2004

A teenage girl with a mental age of eight is facing the death penalty for prostitution in Iran. The trial comes only four months after the hanging of another mentally ill girl for sex before marriage in a case that has prompted a human rights lawyer to prepare a charge of wrongful execution against the presiding judge.

The girl, known as Leyla M, is in prison while the Supreme Court decides on her "acts contrary to chastity", among the most serious charges under Iranian law. Under the penal code, girls as young as nine and boys as young as 15 can be executed.

In an interview on a Persian-language website, the 19-year-old says she was forced into prostitution by her mother at the age of eight. Amnesty International refers to reports that say she was repeatedly raped, bore her first child aged nine and was passed from pimp to pimp before having another three children.

She told the website: "The first time I was taken to a man's house by my mum I was eight. It was a horrible night and I cried a lot but then my mum came the next day and took me home. She bought me chocolate and cheese curls."

Iranian press reports say Leyla was charged with controlling a brothel, having sex with blood relatives and bearing an illegitimate child. Amnesty says the court refused to admit social workers' evidence of her young mental age and convicted her on the basis of confessions.

Her prosecution echoes the fate of an even younger girl, Atefeh Rajabi, executed in August. In her case a judge known as Hajj Rezai reportedly put the noose around her neck himself after convicting her on the basis of her confessions for the fourth time in two years. She begged for her life while being led to the gallows, shouting "repentance".

Shadi Sadr, a human rights lawyer representing Atefeh's family, has filed a suit of wrongful execution against the judiciary and is preparing a murder case against Mr Rezai after uncovering new evidence. She has found documents seen by The Independent that prove Atefeh was mentally ill and her confessions should not have been used.

"There is an article in the penal code that if somebody is sentenced to lashing on three separate occasions for the same offence, the fourth conviction incurs the death penalty," Ms Sadr toldThe Independent. "The same judge tried her for each of these past cases but we haven't been allowed to see the files."

A different man was involved in each of Atefeh's convictions. All refused to confess but the judge said it was obvious they had sex with her and sentenced them each to 95 lashes.

After her trial, Atefeh said she had been a victim of sexual assault during spells of mental ill health. After her first conviction in 2001 when 14, she spent time in a state facility for the "socially harmed". Ms Sadr has obtained documents written by officials there backing up her story.

An undated report written by the facility's psychiatrist says she had a history of "chronic sexuality" and was given to "pseudo hallucinations" and seductive behaviour. He diagnosed her with borderline bipolar disorder.

People in Atefeh's neighbourhood wrote two petitions - one before her conviction and one afterwards - affirming that she suffered from mental illness and begging for leniency. Ms Sadr has been unable to locate the defence lawyer in the case.

After the verdict, Atefeh wrote to the High Court, saying: "There are medical documents that prove I have weak nerves and soul. In some minutes of the day and night I lose my sanity. During these attacks any kind of positive or negative actions may be done by me. In a society where an insane person can be serially raped or abused it is no wonder that a person like me is the victim of such an ugly act." Ms Sadr says Atefeh's mental state should have invalidated the case.

The day before the execution Atefeh told her aunt she had written three words to the High Court: "Repentance, repentance, repentance." In Iranian law, somebody who repents their crime is granted the right to appeal against their sentence.

A social worker's report says Atefeh's father and brother were heroin addicts and after her mother's death "she sought affection on the streets".

Ms Sadr says it is impossible to verify lurid claims in dissident websites about an improper relationship between girl and judge. "We will never know what happened between Atefeh and the judge because she is dead, he won't tell and she was tried in a closed court."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=15129

It is one of the saddest stories I've ever read. :((((

• shamus
    shamus

I am continually fascinated by human nature. We point at horrible things, step back, and all say "too bad, too bad". Sounds more like a circus than having any legitamite reason.

There are even far worse things happening in the world today. You just don't hear about them. These threads can just go on and on and on for days...

We get it. Humans are horrible people.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Religion and law when joined together are most unmerciful.

When the world as a whole(or at least the large majority) stops following religious myths, maybe then we will be able to see more clearly unclouded by religious dogma.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Religion and law when joined together are most unmerciful.

When the world as a whole(or at least the large majority) stops following religious myths, maybe then we will be able to see more clearly unclouded by religious dogma.

Amen to that. Suggest anyone interested in Ismal reads Satanic Verses - it is difficult to read and understand but you can see why it had the Muslim world up in arms. Eyeslice (aka Salman Rushdie)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

What's wrong with these people? Where is their backbone in opposing such travisty? And where is the rest of the World? .... oh, that's right, they scurry off in fear of the fundamentalist countries and their terrorists. Much better to denounce the US knowing they are safe in their opposition.

girls as young as nine and boys as young as 15 can be executed.

Looks like being a guy cuts you 6 years of slack. What a society of sickos.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

"And of all the plagues with which mankind are cursed, ecclesiastical tyranny's the worst" -- Daniel De Foe

• Carmel
    Carmel

Reminds me of the story of Mona, an Iranian girl of 15 whou was hanged by the "revolutionary guard" for "teaching children falsehoods". Her crime, conducting Baha'i children's classes on morals and ethics. Seems teaching children to be polite, respect their elders and only speak when spoken to, is worse than indiscriminate killing, which the guard is autorized to do. It all leads back to a religious system that has out-lived its usefulness. One could site others!

carmel

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Awful stories. The specific problem with Iran is that it is not a dictature, but an Islamic Republic with a very strict separation of powers, so that political or diplomatic pressures have very little effect. A "reformist" President like Khatami has strictly no power on what the judicial system decides. The first instance verdicts are passed by local courts, each one of them has its own interpretation of the shari'a. What is tolerated daily in Tehran may be treated as a capital offence in a remote town. And then it is very difficult to reverse the judgment, because formal motives are needed and the High Court is very conservative. It's a terrible mess.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Well the only thing I have to say about this is I'm glad that Iran is on Bush's shit list... I hope that "Judge" catches the first cruise missile...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit