The Worst Watchtower I've Ever Read

by MungoBaobab 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Sweet _Lullaby
    Sweet _Lullaby

I'm really sorry to hear you good people are wasting your time discussing the terribly horrible things we Jehovah's Witnesses do in a whole. I'm also sorry to hear how much you think God's word is mindless dribble. But don't worry I will still pray for you because you are still, afterall, human and one of God's children!

• Valis
    Valis

Another troll from VA...bye bye!!!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• heart2heart
    heart2heart

I remember the talk we had a while ago about pagan origins of different designs, and how we had to decide, based on how they are viewed today, whether or not to use them. This included decorating, eating pretzles, etc. Very much like the wedding ring experience, I had the same reaction "What about...?". It seems to me there was a magazine about weddings a few years back that talked about the origins of a bridal party, wearing a veil, etc. and I thought... if these have pagan origins, then why do Witnesses follow these traditions?? Really made me think about holidays, birthdays, decorating the house with lights, hanging a wreath, windchimes, etc. The pinata and luau articles struck me the same way.

I agree with Eyeslice that this year's Christmas article was really pathetic. At least they took a different angle this time, but it really sounded like they are getting desperate for ways to get people to follow their rules, to convince people that they are right. For example: pg. 6 of the December 15, 2004 Watchtower: "In essence, Christmas festivities have largely reverted to what they originally were in Roman times - revelry, feasting, and the exchanging of presents." (and this is bad because...??) pg. 7: "Once we know Jesus well, we need no longer wonder how he would like us to remember him. Would it be by eating, drinking, and exchanging presents on the same date as an ancient pagan festival? That seems unlikely" Give me a break! So this holiday happens to be on the same day as an ancient pagan festival.. so what? Isn't the Memorial "celebrated" on the same day as an ancient festival that is no longer celebrated because 'the old law has been done away with' - on a day celebrated by people who didn't even believe in Jesus as the Christ? Their argument in this one is really weak.

Phew! That's my beef. Sorry for ranting

Heart2Heart

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

You are right, Sweet, we are all God's children. We have each been given the Free will by Him to live as we choose. Don't come here Defensive and ready to condemn those who have suffered. Read on, learn, and pray...but pray for yourself that your eyes and your mind will be opened. I dare you.

• shamus
    shamus
    I'm really sorry to hear you good people

Can good people be apostate? I don't think so... we've committed the unforgiveable sin. Another conundrum.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Another Watchtower contradiction. My thread has come full circle!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit