Inter-faith Relationship outside JW

by gdnubin 19 Replies latest social relationships

• Caole
    Caole

Hi Gdnubin, I was in a similar situation years ago, except she was the one that was divorced w/kids, none of her family were JW's, and she hadn't been baptised yet. I didn't care what religion she was involved with. I didn't really know much about JWs(except that they made house calls), and was confident that we could work around the whole religion thing. After all...love conquers all, right? Well, maybe in a perfect world, but unfortunately, not always in this one.

I'm sorry...I hate to be negative sounding...ever...but I think you're fighting a losing battle. Would you continue doing something if you thought that you were dishonoring God? Do you remember how confusing your first relationship was? I can imagine the pain that you've been through, but if she really loves you(and I don't doubt for a minute that she does), I can't begin to imagine the pain that she's going through. Ultimately, she's the one that has to make the hard choices...families will have to live with the consequences...and I'm sure that she's fully aware of that.

Once again...I hate sounding negative...but if there's one thing that I've learned in all of this, it's that sometimes it's best to just let go.

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

The problem I have is that: 1) I've know her before I knew that she was a JW and even after I found out I still accepted her. 2) Knowing some of the laws of JW and their teachings now, she's has lied to her family and to her congregation seeing that she gave in to the temptations of the flesh, WHICH goes AGAINST their teachings. AND, knowing this, she can't be accepted by a JW male knowing this. Her family has NO IDEA of this, and I'm trying to find a way for her to not be disfellowship from the congregation, not be disassociated from her family and save the relationship/fight any obstacle for her knowing that she consented to giving in to temptation, and risk alot in her life.

• Caole
    Caole

Gdnubin...Of course you accepted her...why wouldn't you? It's not like JWs have the plague or something They do, however, have teachings that make this sort of relationship with "worldy" people next to impossible. I'm not saying that it can't happen...I'd love it if you proved me wrong...but given the circumstances in your situation? If I could figure a way for you and her to be happily together, without her being DA'd or DF'd, and with your relationship being accepted by her family and congregation...I'd be a very happy man...and I'd be on the main page telling everybody, "psst...I finally figured it out".

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

I spoke with my girlfriend and she kinda broke up with me Monday & wanted to be "just friends"...but after some time to think and I spoke with her last evening in person and we came to an understanding. We decided to keep the relationship and lose the labels/titles of the relationship(ie boyfriend/girlfriend) and keep everything else AS IS. :-) Only thing is, she thought it would be a good idea that her family not know of the relationship any further that what they knew of and leave it at that.

• aud8
    aud8

GDNUBIN

Can I have your girlfriends e-mail address? I would love to talk to her as we are both in the same situation.

Aud8

• Caole
    Caole

Hi Gdnubin, I'm sorry for being so pessimistic earlier. To be honest with you, I wasn't going to respond to your post at all. I've seen posts like yours before(on other boards), and somebody always comes along that has more experience in the situation than I do. I remember 2 posters in particular that might be of help(Focus and Gretchen18), but I don't know if they post on this board.

Just for the record...I wouldn't have been so pessimistic if you wouldn't have said 2 things...

I know for a fact that she is TOTALLY committed to the religion and so is her family.

and...

...she feels like she has DISHONORED her GOD.

Larc was correct...it would be a different situation altogether if she wasn't totally committed to the religion.

Well, that's my 2 cents, for what it's worth(probably around 2 cents)

Gdnubin...Aud8...I hope that you are both successful in keeping these relationships going! Take care!

Caole

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

Aud8, sorry I haven't replied your response. I wouldn't feel comfortable posting her email address on here. If you available to join me in chat session later day, I'd give it you you then. I told her that NO MATTER WHAT that our love will shine thru EVEN in our DARKEST moments. [:~)]

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

forgive me if i sound too cautious here and perhaps i haven't read all these postings correctly, but, if she is totally commited to the 'truth' then i can't see that she would even be looking outside of the congregation - and even if, as it seems she has - the elders would clamp down big time surely ? If they didn't clamp down immediately - they wouldn't allow arelationship to continue without taking their disciplinary action - so the religion would then not be an issue anyway as she would be disfellowshipped ...

• outnfree
    outnfree

gdnubin,

Your JW girlfriend cannot possibly keep up a relationship "outside the faith" and keep on good terms with her family. Her family will work at breaking the two of you up, hence her request that you drop the "labels" and not let her family know that you are still "friends."
    If they were to find out, they might take the matter to the elders -- report her -- and were the elders to ask the right questions, the fact of your intimacy will be out of the bag and she WILL be disciplined. Whether she is reproved or disfellowshipped would depend upon her connections in the Kingdom Hall and whether or not she would promise never to see you again.

That she flip-flopped on her decision to break it off from morning to evening shows just how conflicted she is. She obviously cares for you very much. But to continue the relationship with you openly OR should you actually offer her marriage WILL mean cutting her off completely from her family or friends. (Well, perhaps not if the two of you married... it would depend on the climate at her Kingdom Hall.)
    It would be terribly cruel of you to ask her to do that if you are not seriously contemplating sharing the rest of your life with her in a LEGAL way. I am getting the feeling from your posts, however, that you could foresee this relationship ending in marriage.

If it should, you should also know that no self-respecting Jehovah's Witness would EVER leave the choice of religion up to the child. (Trust me, I'm an ex-JW who was married to a divorced Catholic with 1 child!, and I believed the Bible's admonition to "train up a boy according to the way, when he grows old he will not depart from it.")
    The Witnesses commend pregnant women for reading My Book of Bible Stories to their in utero children as science has shown that the fetus can be stimulated by reading and music. (The conditioning thus begins before birth!) There will be pressure from her family to bring the children of your union to all meetings and out in field service and also not to celebrate those awful, worldly holidays.

It was a very stressful tightrope I was always walking trying to please both my husband and what the Watch Tower Society told me was Jehovah's will (and myself?).

Thankfully, my husband insisted our children attend parochial school (if you could afford it, that might be a good idea for you, too) so there was evidence all around them that Jehovah also listened to the prayers of sincere Catholics... Plus they got comparative religion even though my husband is not a practicing Catholic.

Imagine if your children should one day choose to become Witnesses, too. No holiday feasts with them, no birthdays... just "get togethers." No joyful worship, either.

It is, indeed, a difficult situation, and I truly wish you both joy and happiness if you can find them.

outnfree

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

Seems like there are people (JW & non-JW) that doubt that two people of difference religious beliefs can overcome any and all obstacles in their path for love...not nesseccarily 'true love'. I've met her mother & the worst thing IS that she works across from where I live. Her mother educated me on thoughts of the relationship from her and the teaching perspective. Her mother has learned about me prior to our meeting, as a result her mother and I decide to let my girlfriend make the decision about the relationship. All I can say IS this can be the ULTIMATE TEST of love between two religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit