Inter-faith Relationship outside JW

by gdnubin 19 Replies latest social relationships

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

I'm a Catholic male,divorced w/one child from a previous marriage and my current girlfriend is a JW. Her family is also JW and I am trying to establish a relationship with her and be on good terms with her family. Anyone with a similar experience, please reply this message and tell me the result.
    Thanks.

• larc
    larc

A month or two ago, someone with the same situation posed a similiar question. I can't remember the name of the thread or I would refer it to you. Perhaps, someone who responeded to it will remember.

I have not been in that situation, but before any of us could be of help it might be useful if you could tell us about the degree of committment that your friend has to the religion. This could make a big difference in our advice to you.

If she has doubts about her religion and is receptive to other ideas, it is a far different situation than if she fully believes the doctrine. By the way, dating you is against her religion. What other liberties has she taken.

• aud8
    aud8

Hi there,

I am a JW female who is engaged to marry a Catholic man next year. My family and friends all accept him and get on very well with him. I think its how the individual perceives the religion - i.e. I am not a Witness with a rigid outlook, I don't have a poker stuckup my nether regions, and there are some aspects I don't agree with, some which I perceive to be man made facets of the religion. I love my fiance with all my heart and I think we can get through anything together and while some in my cong are not to happy with the situation, thats their problem - let them dwell on it because I certainly am not.

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

I know for a fact that she is TOTALLY committted to the religion and so is her family. My family have welcomed her and accepted her for who she is and what she's all about. She didn't tell her family about me, and moved in with me. Intimate feeling between us have been shared. I am looking for a long-term relationship,and I know that acting on such feeling can banish/disassociate her from the religion and her family, from what I know of the religion. Now, she moved out of here into her own place to kinda keep the peace between her religion, her family and me. This is her first relationship, I put my heart into the relationship and to some degree so did she; now she feels that she has dishonored her GOD and is considering breaking up with me because she's gone against the teachings. My thoery is seeing that we BOTH acted on the feelings that she won't be accepted by a JW male, her family if they found out, or the religion; so it would make more sense to me for her to work thru the problem with her religion and the relationship.

• larc
    larc

gdnubin,

If you work through your problems, get married, and have children, how are your going to raise your children? Will they be raised as Catholics or Jehovah's Witnesses?

aud8,

Similiar Question: Since you are more liberal than most JWs, how liberal are you going to be in child rearing?

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

Larc,In reply to your message, if we were to work things out and get married and have children, I'd say let the child decide what religion he/she wants to worship.

• larc
    larc

So, you are telling me that you would not take your children to the Catholic Church and your wife would not take them to the Kingdom Hall. Then, they could shop around once they were old enough to be on their own.

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

I'm not saying that. My ex-wife and I are from two different religions and we both agreed that our son can go with either one of us to service but ultimately it will be his decision as to what religion that he choose. And if my girlfriend and I have a child together I think the same rule should apply. That's the way it was when I was growing up in a mixed-faith family.

• aud8
    aud8

I think thats a great idea. I think my biggest problem would be my fiance's mother, she is a very strong Catholic and will go mad when she finds out about me. I don't think she will have anything to do with me when she does find out. My fiance is not even a practising Catholic!

• gdnubin
    gdnubin

I'm NOT a practing Catholic either, but I find myself connecting more to baptist side of my parents mixed-faith. All I can say to you, is have FAITH and TRUST that she'll get to know, like and accept you for who you are and what your all about. Aud8, maybe you can help me get thru to my girlfriend 'cause she's trying to break up with me for she feels like she has DISHONORED her GOD. Even before I got with her, I accepted her before/after the fact of knowing her religion. I truly love and care about her and don't want to lose her, I'd like to chat with you later if you could email her seeing that your a JW and maybe get thru to her, I'm NOT asking her to stop being a JW, serving her GOD, loving or disassociating with her family, being disfellowshiped from the congregation, and NOT stop loving me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit