What would be the hardest thing to give up if returning the the 'truth'?

by confuzzed 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Peace of mind, "guilt-free" feelings, rock-n-roll, and metal music!

Teaching my son that traditions are ok, and a wonderful part of life,

and that his Birthday was the most important day of MY life!

• jwbot
    jwbot

5th time trying to post....

I tried really hard as a JW to be myself...that included things that would get me in trouble.

Now, if I were to go back for some reason...and try to be "a good jw", things I would have to give up for hide:

sex

going out on weekends (not that I do that too often anyway)

recreational drugs

saying "oh shes hot, surely I would trip myself up

good movies

college most likely

my sanity

my honesty

politics and political opinions

feminism

my happiness

the love of my life

true friendships and loves

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

In my case it would not be a returning but rather a first time conversion. I owuld have to say the hardest thing to give up would be common sense.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Blondie nailed it on the head for me.

The hardest thing to give up? Myself. My life. Because it would surely kill me to go back. But even harder than giving up my life, would be giving up my child's future. She has so many choices that I never did. I couldn't take that away from her now, not for anyone, not even my family.

essie

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

My Life

I hated having my life controlled by the Watchtower. Do this, Do that, Don't do this, Don't do that. It's never ending. I'll make the decisions in my life based on my judgement.

I would also have to give up some close friends that are Df'd.

• undercover
    undercover

iiz2cool

self-respect is what I would lose if I went back. It would probably just break my spirit if I went back.

But, for argument's sake the physical things to give up to go back would be numerous. Drinking, R-rated movies, clubs, concerts, worldly friends, music, the list goes on.

I know that a JW would say "you can still do some of those things", but it was my experience when still in that even if it didn't bother your conscience to do, see, say something, it bothered somebody elses, therefore we still shouldn't do it so as to not stumble someone.

Our conscience didn't really matter, it was the collective conscience that mattered and since the collective conscience was ultra-conservative, based on the teachings from the leaders, most everything "worldly" was ruled out.

Yea, lots of us sneaked around and did things that we hoped nobody found out about, but if you want to be a truly dedicated JW, you have to, have to, give up anything that the collective would frown on.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

It's not the "Truth" but I would hate to give uo Holden Poker.

• new light
    new light

My frontal lobe

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

My Freedom.

My Happiness.

My will to live and be happy.

My will and want to succeed in life whatever it may be.

Mainly my kids future and thier happiness!

Brooke WI

• Celia
    Celia
    My frontal lobe

Yep, that's the one - I was going to say :

Brain - Thinking Ability - Common Sense -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit