What Was Your General Impression of Elders?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Min. that was one of the things that bothered me when I was an elder. I knew damned well that I was not spirit directed or led in any way shape or form.

I still was the same slightly licentious, horney, easily pissed off man. With all the foibles, problems, doubts and fears that any normal "worldly" MAN has.

Then at the elder co/do meetings it was like a bunch of timid or rabid uneducated men with no manners or respect for others.

My worldly corporate meetings were way more civilized considerate and intelligent.

Spirit directed my but.

Outoftheorg

• minimus
    minimus

When you're in that elder's room, it's like a big boy's club. You supposed to feel superior to the others out of the room. But once you start thinking about the pettiness , you can't help but think, "What a dink I was".

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I liked them in a way, for their good qualities, if they had any; and I respected the hard working, self disciplined, and/or kind ones; but I never felt comfortable in their company because I knew they weren't really allowed to ever be real in front of the average JW - in fact they were rarely if ever completely sincere because they were often on a fact finding mission. And many of them had the weight of the world, or congregation, on their shoulders, and for the ones who took this responsibility seriously, it was a real burden.

The few that were actually jerks would be jerks whether they were JWs or not. Same with some of the women of course. Just human nature.

• gerbils
    gerbils

I really appreciated the nice, humble caring elders...but the ones who just dont give a s**t about anyone, who cares about them! They shouldn't even be elders

• minimus
    minimus

I went through a metamorphosis. When I first became an elder, I was like Joe Watchtower. I knew all the procedures and understood why judicial meetings were supposed to be conducted the way they were. But I alienated people because I simply followed the book. As time went by I realized what a dumbass I was and became one of the most approachable elders. Now, I'm here and loving it!

• freedom96
    freedom96

You got the nice, sincere ones, and the ones with the ego trip.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    Certain elders get regular calls telling them what's going on. The elders don't even have to fish around from these certain ones.

Minimus, exactly! "Factfinding" or as my ex calls what he does: "Information gathering". All the while pretending to actually care about or be interested in people.

Anyway, no, I was not one to go to the elders for anything other than directions/instructions for the territory. I was a big "live and let the angels or birds tell the elders" kind of person.

• minimus
    minimus

Some sisters used to always ask, "Did you speak to the e l d e r s about this?"

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Insomniac,

I can agree that some elders fit the description you give, but I also feel that many elders are good people doing their best.

Ridiculous bunch of old men who somehow, with high-school educations at best, felt that they were superior both morally and mentally to every other person on the planet.

In my Hall, we had several well educated elders. One was an electronics engineer. I am an electrical-mechanical engineer. I worked in nuclear power operations as well as research and testing. Neither myself nor most of the elders I knew felt they were superior to others. However, in nearly every Hall, I also knew some assholes.

Guys who believed that any form of sexuality other than missionary position between husband and wife was perverted, trying to tell the rest of us how to live our lives.

Well, in all the JC cases I was involved, as well as the many that were in our files, we never had any discussions with anyone on how to have sex, or what position. However, if you read my Justice Series posted on JWD, you will see that there were some screwy issues and decisions made ... but, I believe that these were less the cause by elders, and more the responsibility of the Watchtower Society.

Men in polyester suits telling me how to dress, how to wear my hair, what parts of my own body I could pierce. And all the while, they thought I was inferior because I was a woman!

I wore wool suits. The only woman I ever talked to "in the back room" was because she smelled like cigarettes - especially when she talked - her breath was like that of a typical smoker. She denied smoking, so I dropped the matter. Most of the "counsel" on how to dress came from Service Meeting talks that were usually directed in the Kingdom Ministry ... the elders, in my opinion, were more the representatives of Watchtower policy then their own ideas.

However, in all the years I was a JW and/or an elder or ministerial servant, I never looked down on women, or thought of them as inferior. Some JW men believe in equality, and some do not. The religion itself teaches dual opposing ideas on this and cause much confusion between equality and the so-called "headship issue. Frankly, even as an elder, I still taught equality in my house, and sought equality with my wife ... and my children, especially my daughters, really stand as equals with any man.

At the same time, I was afraid of drawing too much of their attention, because let's face it, they did control our lives to a large degree.

Elders on average, had no intention of controlling anyone's life. There is another side to this story however. Many times elders get calls from publishers who need help making the smallest decision. If you listen to enough of these "cries for help" they are little more than subtle requests for affirmation. The whole relationship between JWs and elders and the Society is one of emotional and mental dependence on a system of beliefs and the authority of the governing body. All JWs, share in the lunacy to some extent ... and only when we step back and finally leave the religion do we see things for what they are.

I agree that the religion is not healthy and some aspects are even criminal. I do not like how women are viewed and treated by many JW men. I likewise do not like the ever increasing control of every detail of people's lives that the governing body exercises. When I beecame a JW in the late 1960s, it was far more relaxed. BY the early 1990s, when I was leaving, it was far more controlling. So, I can only imagine it is even worse today.

Jim W.

• missy04
    missy04

I just figured they were like everyone else..there will be some snotty ones, some arrogant ones, some genuine ones, some who are really nice people. I have met all sorts.

My best friend (a witness sister) married to an elder. I have to say that he's absolutely one of the nicest men I have ever met, and I know it was not an act because I stayed with the two of them for three months.

On the other hand, the PO took a very serious disliking to me for no apparent reason..maybe it was the eyebrow ring hole that mysteriously never healed after months and months......hrmmmm...who knows.

But just like any group of people....all kinds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit